Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson WF 3530 reports paper jam when there isn't one

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikilet

Nikilet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

I love the printer. It makes beautiful picture prints. However, it seems like if I do anything to change anything then it wants to start acting up and telling me there is a paper jam in Cassette #1, when there is not. I can monkey with it for hours and it will finally start printing again ... so far.

I actually work most often on my desktop, which is not WiFi and is in my computer room. My printer has been printing without a hitch, until tonight when I printed from my laptop which is in my bedroom. It made a connection but when I came into my computer room to check on the print job it was telling me there was a paper jam in Cassette #1. 

For normal printing you are supposed to be able to print from #1 or #2; if you are going to use specialty paper, like photo paper, you are supposed to use only #1. 

So I tried reloading drawer #1 several times and printing from my desktop and just kept getting the paper jam thing. I went into the settings in my computer and seen that it was actually set to print from cassette #2, from which it has been printing just fine. So I hit the "Reset Defaults" and that made it revert to cassette #1, so I tried printing again and it printed, on the desktop. I did not try again on the laptop. 

But I shouldn't be having all this trouble. About 10 days ago I put a few pieces of photo paper in C#1 and it printed the photos off for me just beautifully. They were quite impressive. Then when I tried to go back to regular printing it WOULD NOT print. Just paper jam, paper jam. I despaired and thought I was going to have to give up on it when it started printing again. 

Please, does anyone have any ideas about this? I did go to another Printer Forum and they said to run DriverUpdate™ and run any updates. It found 14 updates and I can print a list of those if you would like to see what the recommendations were, but I did not go through with running those updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

Sounds like it is a mechanical problem in the printer itself; probably a paper sensor is beginning to fail, not an uncommon thing with printers these days. If you get 3 years out of a printer you are doing well, especially if you use it a lot. I have gone down the road with this kind of thing with printers and wasted tons of time trying to find the problem and failed. What you can do is check to see if a little, torn off piece of paper is jammed in the rollers and is tripping the paper-jam sensor. It can be hard to see because these printers are not easily accessible. They are not designed to be repaired, just replaced.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

2Nikilet

This may very well be a hardware failure as suggested by ranchhand_

But here is my suggestion to add... (it's 5 simple steps)

If you are absolutely sure there is no paper jam (not even a small piece of torn corner) you can try the following...

Disclaimer: You will lose any customized settings...

a. Press the Home menu button on the front of the printer.

b. Using the Right Arrow: Scroll to the Setup Optionption. Press OK.

c. Using the Down Arrow: Scroll to the Restore Default Options item. Press OK.

d. Again, using the Down Arrow: Scroll to All Settings. Press OK.

This should reset the printer to Out of Box Factory Defaults

e,  I would suggest turning the printer off let it rest a minute or two and restart the printer.

Old Rocker

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Have you tried fresh paper?  Normally IT folks start to see these kinds of issues in the winter because of the low humidity.  The paper dries out and can't be picked up by the pickup rollers and the error message is a jam.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

A can of air and a small paint brush to clean the sensor would determine the hardware fault.  Sometimes  you need to tape it to a pencil to get a long enough reach.  Some companies make a paper drawer insert to help clean the pick up rollers and paper path sensors.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

In my Canon Pixma ip7220 there is a command to clean the rollers that "grab" the paper; sometimes they start slipping and won't feed the paper into the advancement mechanism, so there is a cleaning procedure that will fix that. You might see if your printer has something like that; at least it is another thing to try.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users