Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying First Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

I'm looking for the best gaming pc $1500 and under. Yes, I've seen stuff about building my own but there is absolutely no way I could do it and also through even trying to build my own online starts becoming way more expensive than the sale prices of premade ones with the same specs. There is also nowhere local to build it for me. So I am set on this. How do I choose? Is there a site like rtings.com does for tv's? Looking for a pc to use my 55" 4K as the monitor. Are iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC's decent company/computer? I'm finding the best prices for these brands so I can either get a more expensive name brand one (MSI/Asus) with lesser specs or one of the former above listed brands with better specs. I'm definitely wanting GTX 1080 and i7. I am split on getting a laptop that isn't caught up with how the desktop are because that's all I've ever known for gaming and writing. I really want to use my 4K tv screen for the moniter but am concerned it will stretch the image and make it blurry? Can you change the size a game is on the tv screen through the laptop? That's my only concern. Otherwise I know the desktop is the absolute best option. Any and all advice is more than welcome and extremely appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

In case you want 4K gaming, only wise option is to wait for new cards. GTX 1080 is much slower than Titan X and Titan X is not enough for 4K gaming so...

Another reason to wait until next year is AMD Zen.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

If you go with a laptop your upgrade options are almost non-existent.  With a desktop you can swap out the video card(s) and get at least another year out of it.

What games are you looking to play?

You may not want to use the 55" as a screen all of the time.  While 55" may be great for games and media I don't know how much you would like it for web browsing or document creation.  Additionally I don't know what would happen if the game you want to play doesn't support 4k resolutions.

#4 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:44 PM

@Drillingmachine: I'm wondering if I should just go ahead with the 1080 though and the below 60 fps won't be that noticible/bad for me since I haven't played games in 10 years... I doubt I'll be able to afford the brand new graphics cards.. when are they expected to be released? So they will support 4K 60fps on high or ultra? If so it definitely would be wise to wait... I just wonder how pricey it will be. I know 1080 is capable of doing a little bit of Gaming at 4K 50fps on high or ultra but not much. I've looked into AMD Zen.. I don't know why I always thought Nvidia has been better when it comes to Gaming and compatibility though... is it expected to be better? When I looked at benchmarks it looked to still not be as good..

#5 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

@Kilroy: That's definitely a deciding factor then.. so you can swap out with any desktop?

Well, I haven't played any games in 10 years so I am going to have to see what I like now... I know for sure adventure and mystery.. my favorite older games are Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (really looking forward to playing Chapters), Syberia, and Still Life. I didn't used to like any fps or highly demanding games but I want to be able to play basically any game on high or ultra at 4K with fps swaying in case I like them. When I've looked at YouTube videos of 4K PC gameplay it is absolutely stunning.. I've even looked at older games and although it's stretched still doesn't look too bad for how old the graphics are. If the game doesn't support 4K wouldn't it just upscale like it does for SD and HD content? Yep, I am concerned about creating documents and typing... but maybe it wouldn't be too bad to get used to.. as far as web browsing I know I wouldn't like that at all so I use my iPad for any of that.

#6 miklo1904

miklo1904

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

I bought a pc for 400 dollars from Ibuypower and it plays most games at medium settings but some of the more advanced grafix wise games it wont run but if your into Fallout 4, Skyrim etc it plays those perfect,

http://www.ibuypower.com/Product/LandingPage/Chimera5 check em out and free delivery.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

OK so you are not playing demanding games but just want 4K @ 60 FPS with non-demanding adventure games. Then forget what I said about new GPU's as mid end card like Radeon RX 480 8GB is enough for (most of) those @ 4K. So you can basically forget GTX 1080 and similarly priced cards. Nvidia's architecture is years behind AMD right now.

And why i7? For start, there are i7 CPU's ranging from 2 cores to 10 cores. Secondly, i7 CPU's are very expensive and AMD Zen should offer comparable performance much cheaper.

Also for adventure games and such you don't need i7 or similar.

And btw, your budget is nowhere enough for i7+GTX 1080, at least when buying from iPowerpc. And since Christmas is coming in three days, this is very bad time to buy new PC. Even if you buy now, it probably takes a month before you can get it so I suggest waiting until at least mid January and see what's available then.

#8 bigdogjere

bigdogjere

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Not for everyone but I really like it. http://amzn.to/2hIFhRS

Edited by bigdogjere, 21 December 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#9 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

@DrillingMachine- I actually haven't played any at all in 10 years so I don't know what I'll like... In case I do like highly demanding games I want to be able to play them no problems. Really?? I thought the complete opposite! I thought AMD was behind Nvidia? Shows what I know. Lol When is AMD Zen expected to be available? I I'm unfortunately going to have to wait until it goes on sale again as it just went off but this was the one I'm eyeing.. the sale price they had was $1499- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310. Well I think I'm actually definitely set on i7 1080 at the very least.. as I saw it was ranging 40-50 fps for tomb raider at ultra. Oh wow, it takes that long around Christmas time?? I'm wondering if whatever is released in Q1 2017 will be that different as far as fps and affordability goes when it comes to 4K at 60 fps. If it's not too different... I should just go with the 1080 because I can't afford Titan, which I'm sure even newer would be even more out of my price range.. For someone that hasn't played games in a very long time is it really noticeable for 30-50 fps? I'm wondering if it'll feel that draggy on the screen.. I wonder if Titan price will drop very much with 1080 Ti or if Ti would be in reach at all?

Edited by MeganElisabeth, 21 December 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#10 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

@Miklo1904- Thank you so much for responding! So you don't have any complaints about buying from them? I'm a little worried about this after horrendous reviews I've seen from experiences.

#11 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

@bigdogjere- That definitely does look like a good one! Thanks for posting! Unfortunately 1080 is even only getting 30-50 fps so I think I definitely need that. Just can't decide if I should wait for AMD Zen and Seeing if I could possibly afford Titan once 1080 Ti is released.. don't know if it'll make that much of a difference for the price...

Edited by MeganElisabeth, 21 December 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:32 AM

@DrillingMachine- I actually haven't played any at all in 10 years so I don't know what I'll like... In case I do like highly demanding games I want to be able to play them no problems. Really?? I thought the complete opposite! I thought AMD was behind Nvidia? Shows what I know. Lol When is AMD Zen expected to be available? I I'm unfortunately going to have to wait until it goes on sale again as it just went off but this was the one I'm eyeing.. the sale price they had was $1499- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310. Well I think I'm actually definitely set on i7 1080 at the very least.. as I saw it was ranging 40-50 fps for tomb raider at ultra. Oh wow, it takes that long around Christmas time?? I'm wondering if whatever is released in Q1 2017 will be that different as far as fps and affordability goes when it comes to 4K at 60 fps. If it's not too different... I should just go with the 1080 because I can't afford Titan, which I'm sure even newer would be even more out of my price range.. For someone that hasn't played games in a very long time is it really noticeable for 30-50 fps? I'm wondering if it'll feel that draggy on the screen.. I wonder if Titan price will drop very much with 1080 Ti or if Ti would be in reach at all?

Nvidia has very poor support for advanced DX12 features so Nvidia essentially stuck with DX11 technology. That's why Nvidia is behind AMD. While Nvidia has best performing cards right now on DX11, it's just because AMD hasn't released high end model with 14nm LPP process (and with HBM2 memory). As for memory, I see no sense paying over $400 for any card that is using ancient memory technology (GDDR5 or GDDR5X). Because of slower memory, they are too slow for price. HBM2 memory has been available for long time BTW, it's just when manufacturers decides to use it. Pricing may be issue right now.

It all goes same as GTX 980 Ti: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613045/build-idea-need-input/#entry3993382

What actually happened, GTX 980 Ti price dropped $300 in one day. That was not hard to predict.

Zen is expected to be available Q1/2017.

If you really want to play "almost any game" @4K resolution, then I say again what I have already said: current cards (including Titan X and upcoming GTX 1080 Ti) are way too slow for 4K gaming so only option is to wait for HBM2 cards unless you want to waste money. AMD Vega with HBM2 should be released Q1/2017. Around same time as AMD Zen?

#13 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you very much for all of the information. It is concerning to me, however, that seems like quite a few games are running better on Nvidia than AMD based on what preference the companies and creators seem to have. Wow, that's a crazy price drop! I definitely understand what you're saying and greatly appreciate all the information, I'm learning quite a bit. Would it really be possible for me to be able to afford AMD Vega or AMD Zen when it's brand-new at my $1500 maximum price range though?? I would think they would be much more expensive than this since the i7 1080 is $1500 right now at the very cheapest when on sale. I doubt ibuypower will even have any right away will they?

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

Most games are still DX11, it takes time for new innovations to gain ground. However, Vulkan and DX12 are future. Also AMD has not yet published high end card for 14nm so no wonder Nvidia's high end cards are better. But as HBM2 cards aren't available, I wonder who actually buys Nvidia's expensive old tech for high price. I wondered that with GTX 980 Ti also.

AMD Zen is expected to cost bit more than i7 quad core but it's also much better. Considering price, memory and architecture of GTX 1080 (it's basically just GTX 980 architecture with more units), Vega should be more expensive.

But anyway, in case you want 4K gaming, no current card is viable option. This narrows options to:

- Wait for better cards

- Do not require 4K gaming

- Waste money

#15 MeganElisabeth

MeganElisabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

Ah, that's probably why I've thought Nvidia has been over AMD even 10 years ago. It looks like short term I'm going to have to waste money and hope that 30-40 fps isn't bad at all since I haven't played in 10 years (probably better than then) and then wait for new to come out again to be able to at least get the graphics card for 4K Gaming once there is a price drop (it seems like new is released quite often). It sounds like Vega is exactly what would be perfect but I can almost guarantee it won't be a possibility financially unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users