Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 questions and "won't wake up"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JP Smit

JP Smit

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

Bleeping Computer helped me a lot at a previous time - perhaps you can help me again.

I have a Lenovo B575 laptop. I upgraded to windows 10 and, while I am generally pretty happy with it there are a few key things.

1. It won't wake up. When I originally had it upgraded, if it went to screensaver, it would not wake up. I would have to close the screen and wait and then reopen for it to restart. Then I reset all the "personalize" setting to the default settings. Now, it seems to wake up but, if the screen is closed, it is a crap shoot whether it will wake up when I open the screen. Most mornings, I open the screen and end up having to restart the computer.

2. While the computer mostly stars OK (60 second boot normally) it takes a while for the CPU and the hard drive to go below 100% to allow me to use it.

3. Not sure of this is related, but, every once in a while ( 2-3 times a night) Chrome will spin and spin but not load the page and tell me the computer is not connected to the internet - when it is. after about 5 minutes everything starts again.

4. Finally, I use the free version of Avast - every once in awhile, I get their "upsell" message. Typically it tells me there are inefficiencies. I took a screenshot and don't know if it is legit or whether I can do something about it without buying their product.

thanks in advance for your help with this.

Cheers

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Other people can help with the slowdown but take my advice and do not use any kind of optimizing program that says it will increase the speed of your computer. BC does not recommend the use of any PC optimizer or registry cleaner. 

If this was an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 your best option would be to do a clean install after backing up your personal data and program licenses. Upgrading an OS over a previous OS can lead to problems you are experiencing. Was the computer running fine before the upgrade. 

You can download CCleaner and use the default settings to clean your computer of browser cache and temp files. Do not use it's registry cleaner.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

If this was an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 your best option would be to do a clean install after backing up your personal data and program licenses. Upgrading an OS over a previous OS can lead to problems you are experiencing. Was the computer running fine before the upgrade.

YIp why i only do clean installs from scratch.

#4 JP Smit

JP Smit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for this John_C21 and shadow_647. I have been using the registry cleaner on CCleaner (I already use CCleaner and will stop using the registry cleaner.

It was running OK before the Windows 10 upgrade (do computers ever run great?) :0

I bought this computer with windows loaded and as such lack the software to do a clean install. Though there is a local shop that has done repairs for me at a favourable price and timeline.

Related to this, I have a NAS drive on the network and it seems to have let me backup the computer once. Now, once a week I get a "Back up your files" message - but it won't. I googled it and it seems to be a Windows 10 issue - where it won't let you have two copies so, it says rename the file, but I am not exactly clear to what?

thanks!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Was this a Windows 7 or 8 computer? You can reinstall Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. 

Windows 10 also allows you to do a reset from within Windows which would essentially wipe your installed programs. There is an option to keep your files but all programs would be gone an would need to be reinstalled so make sure you have any serial keys or license files for those programs.

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is in firmware and will auto activate once online. There is also a Media Creation Tool for 8.1.

If you had Windows 7 and the key on the COA sticker is still legible you can reinstall Windows 7 using the Windows iso downloader.

I can't help with the NAS box issue though, sorry. I would recommend once you have the OS reinstalled and updated you do a complete disk image to an external drive using one of the following programs.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard  If using Aomei download the 3.5 version. Version 4 removed some good things in version 3.5 like Universal Restore and Scheduled Backups created by and Event. You can download 3.5 here. V4 does now have syncing which 3.5 does not.

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Using the bootable media each of the above creates you can recover the image from the external and restore to a non-bootable computer or to a new drive in case there is a drive failure.

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

Please try to understand that there is no other method to improve such a thing, is a clean re-installation only.
Are you doing this now or later, but no other method will not help.
Nothing is not need afraid, your files will be preserved, activating will be maintained if only using Microsoft account.
Take into account that occasionally need to do a clean installation, even if You install several times updates, it is because always, when you install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 you'll get also new Windows version. And then You must delete all old update installers, old backup files etc. Sometimes is also needed to reinstall some programs, because their settings in registry is changed or lost.

#7 JP Smit

JP Smit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

Was this a Windows 7 or 8 computer? You can reinstall Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. 

I am pretty sure it was a Windows 7 computer. Key is no longer legible.

That said, sounds like a reinstall is in the cards - Just one more question, will a reinstall keep my programs or just my files?

thanks all for this it is truly appreciated.

#8 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

Your computer has been slowed by avast free spam =) 

Your Windows 7 key will be not expiring soon, the license will work on 100% may be you will be forced to use phone activation but will work.

Windows 10 will save all of your programs, software, adware, spamware, broken registry, broken system files and many many more, so on a certain point you will be forced to wipe out all of the software.

If you need assistance with the reinstall of your windows 7 just give a shout I`ll send you all of the information you need.

Cheers,
Andy

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

You can do a reset with the option to keep your personal files. You would need to reinstall all your programs. That being the case, if you can backup your personal data to another device then I would do a clean install.

I am not sure how you could activate Windows 7 if the key is no longer legible. It would only work if the factory reset partition is still on the computer and you can access it.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Pre-Installed-Lenovo-Software/Restore-Factory-Settings-Lenovo-desktop-Windows-7/td-p/1637194

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users