Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Snapped a pin on the pictured thingamajig - best way to fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drz81

Drz81

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

While repairing my Asus UX305FA I tried to take the pictured white thing out of my laptop. I promptly snapped a tiny crack into it, then left it as it was, realizing there was no reason for me to take it out in the first place.

The crack is on the left edge, hopefully it's more visible when blown up:

Attached File  harambe.jpg   136.78KB   1 downloads

My up, down, and escape keys are no longer working on my keyboard. I've realized it's because of this. When I press down very hard on the white casing on the left edge by the crack, the keys work fine. Obviously I can only do this when the laptop's bottom is off.

My question is -- what's the best way to fix this, given that I'm a novice repair person who owns no soldering equipment? 

Is there a MacGyver fix, like jamming a paper clip in there? Is there a $3 soldering thing I can buy on Amazon? Is it easy to buy and swap out a replacement part for this? Should I take it to the Geek Squad and make it rain?

I hate the "thanks in advance" thing so I'll save my very sincere thanks until after any replies.  :guitar:

Edit: I've been a member since 2008 and this is my first post? .... Huh.

Edited by Drz81, 19 December 2016 - 05:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

The "white thing" is part of a connector - presumably the keyboard connector - & is part of / fixed to the motherboard. The ways of fixing this would be:-

a) replace the motherboard - probably expensive

B) get a replacement connector (probably difficult) & pay someone to fit it to the motherboard - if you can find someone that does component level repairs - this could be even more expensive than option a. 

c) try using something non electrically conductive (e.g. rubber) as a packer between the connector & the laptop bottom case to apply pressure to the broken part. This will not be reliable, & if not done carefully could make the damage worse.

Definitely no paper clips, & the soldering would be well outside the capabilities of a novice (even if they had the right equipment at a cost significantly higher than $3).

#3 Drz81

Drz81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

The "white thing" is part of a connector - presumably the keyboard connector - & is part of / fixed to the motherboard. The ways of fixing this would be:-

a) replace the motherboard - probably expensive

B) get a replacement connector (probably difficult) & pay someone to fit it to the motherboard - if you can find someone that does component level repairs - this could be even more expensive than option a. 

c) try using something non electrically conductive (e.g. rubber) as a packer between the connector & the laptop bottom case to apply pressure to the broken part. This will not be reliable, & if not done carefully could make the damage worse.

Definitely no paper clips, & the soldering would be well outside the capabilities of a novice (even if they had the right equipment at a cost significantly higher than $3).

D'oh. Bummer, but not wholly unexpected, and at least it's good to hear the news and know for sure. Thank you very much sir!

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

Bla, my self looking at the pic i might just put a spot of hot glue on it and call it a day or a spot of some kind of epoxy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users