Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

initial load of Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trapper68

Trapper68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

Hello all;

I initially had a computer with Windows 7; I then built one out of an Intel i5-6600 and a Z170-e MB. It now will not accept a Windows 10 upgrade - for that matter, it is not accepting the original Win 7  off my ssd (which was in the original computer) I tried booting off the dvd but it goes to a screen that tries to fix my computer then can't and offers to shut down my computer. Frustrated. Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gellegbs

gellegbs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

Unfortunately, Windows is registered to the motherboard of the original pc. The disk is not going to help you install windows with another motherboard assuming it is a disk with OEM license. However, if you can get your hands on a full version you should be able to do what you want. Otherwise, there's always Linux.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hello all;

I initially had a computer with Windows 7; I then built one out of an Intel i5-6600 and a Z170-e MB. It now will not accept a Windows 10 upgrade - for that matter, it is not accepting the original Win 7  off my ssd (which was in the original computer) I tried booting off the dvd but it goes to a screen that tries to fix my computer then can't and offers to shut down my computer. Frustrated. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Besides this being against the law it is technically impossible. You need to purchase a new license for Windows.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

You have a couple of things happening here.

1. When you take a ssd/hdd with a Windows operating system installed on it and and install it in another computer with a different motherboard and a different CPU the operating system will not be able to boot into Windows.  Toward the end of a Windows installation you will get the message "Windows is finalizing your settings".  This is where Windows recognizes what drivers are needed to boot into Windows and reserves these for the startup.  When you change the motherboard and the components on it those drivers change and Windows may not boot at all.  Usually if it does start it will have problems which usually continue to get worse and usually requires a fresh installation.

2. If this first computer which had the ssd installed on it was a OEM computer you need to realize that a OEM installation is intended for one computer only.  If you built another computer which had all of the exact same motherboard and the other board components you may be able to fool Windows into seeing this as the same computer.  But if there is one item different, even the North bridge and South bridge chipset drivers, and you are still able to boot into Windows you will still have one large problem... you will not be able to activate the operating system.  After thirty days you will have a very limited version of Windows.  This will have limited graphics and other functions, you will not be able to get updates either.

Computers with Windows 7 and forward can generalize the hdd by using the sysprep.exe.  This basically removes all of the settings and allows Windows to reassign new drivers.  This will not work on a upgraded version of Windows, and to the best of my knowledge this will not work with a OEM installation.

Edited by dc3, 20 December 2016 - 11:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Trapper68

Trapper68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thanks all for the reply and the information. What I am hearing is I would be better off to purchase another ssd and load my new copy of windows (which I have already purchased) from that. ANyone see a way around it? I am not getting past putting the new windows 10 product key in.

#6 gellegbs

gellegbs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

You could just format the drive instead of buying a new one and install the retail version of windows.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

If you are not going to use the ssd that currently has Windows 7 installed on it in the original computer you can wipe the ssd and then install the retail copy that you purchased.

Drivewipe is a program which I've used for years to overwrite a ssd/hdd.  There is a free version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users