Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Spiking to 100% on Brand New Gaming Notebook (W10 issue?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anovariable

Anovariable

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:00 PM

Howdy y'all. This is my first post so be gentle. I just got a brand new laptop (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO9YHUW/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=) that's running Windows 10. When I run task manager, it says the CPU randomly spikes to 100% via random processes. This is an issue fresh out-of-the-box. The only additional installed things are Google Chrome and Steam, and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of preinstalled bloatware. The processes that spike it are random, so I've seen Chrome, the explorer, task manager itself, and system interrupts. they've been anywhere from 20% to 80% of my CPU usage during spikes. My 2010 laptop could run tons of Chrome tabs, videos, PhotoShop, and Illustrator simultaneously no problem, and this laptop is miles ahead in horsepower. From my searches it seems that people have this issue because of Windows 10 updates from older OSes like Windows 7. Problem here is that this laptop is brand spanking new so that's not the case. Today (second day I've used it) it's not spiking as often but it's still happening. The only solution I've seen was disable Superfetch and stop unnecessary programs on startup, but neither of those helped. I've linked an image of my processes and performance tabs to show what I mean.

http://imgur.com/a/fK95l

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

When you get a long spike click Open Resource Monitor. Click the CPU tab. In the upper pane look for the process using the CPU and click the box next to it. In the lower pane you will see the service attached to that process. This is how I do it in Windows 7. Not sure about 10. That may help in determining what is causing the spikes. 

Try a clean boot. Enable startups and services a few at a time until you get the CPU spikes. If you still get spikes after doing a clean boot I would seriously consider RMAing back the computer.

#3 Anovariable

Anovariable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

Unfortunately a clean boot didn't solve the issue. I was afraid it wouldn't because the programs that have shown to spike up the most CPU usage are random and erratic. Plus the disc read/write time is still acting up as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users