Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Child Proofing Windows PC - Dual Boot and image ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 personalt

personalt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

My son is starting to want to use my laptop to play a space program 'Universe Sandbox'  since it is educational I want to encourage that.

I am trying to think of ways to child proof the machine.  I am not so much worried about protecting him from 'bad' websites as my router has good controls for that.  I am thinking about protecting the pc against him running my work programs or changing system settings..   I also just want to make it easier for him to only see his apps.     I was thinking about making the pc dual boot and then imaging the PC when I install new apps.  This would make it easy for me to roll back in a few mouse clicks.   If I had my way, his OS wouldn't save anything unless I tell it to and act more like a windows embedded PC but I dont know any way to turn a regular windows install in to one that acts like a windows embedded install and doesnt save anything. 

Do you all think dual booting it is overkill?  I know could create him a login on my OS and give his user very little permissions but I am leaning toward dual boot but wanted to get some other opinions. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Could just set up a secondary account on your PC, no admin rights or anything

http://www.windowscentral.com/manage-user-accounts-windows-10

Also:

Dual booting is not a bad idea, if mainly for backing up right now.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 December 2016 - 04:08 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Id agree with MadmanRB on this one, It'd be much simpler to make another account on the PC with no admin rights. 

And dual boot is also not a bad idea but you'd have to partition it if you were putting windows on there again. (one partition for win 10, one partition for win 7/10 etc.)  alongside the Original OS.

Might be less of a headache to add another UA to the machine. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

I mean there will be no harm of a linux/windows dualboot either as that can help isolate your programs from harm as linux is its own OS.

The options are good here depending on your skill and willingness

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

Even a User account would let your son run all programs including your work programs. 

You did not say if you have Windows 10 Pro or Home. With Pro you could use Group Policy to restrict programs. If you have Home you will need to edit the registry.

https://www.technipages.com/prevent-users-from-running-certain-programs

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

I agree with the Madman that a second user account is the simplest way to go BUT - set your own account up with a good solid password and change it from time to time. Kids are very observant and have an excellent record at cracking their elders' passwords !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 personalt

personalt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

If i don't go dual boot I need to guess what things he can blow up.   ie, I would likely set the drives up so that he is denied permission to delete or rename files.   The trick is figuring out what the other risks are and planning for them.  By default a regular user would still be able to delete stuff.   I do have pro..  

It is not a huge burden to set up dual booting as I have my desktop pc set up that way.  I like having dual boot for when I want to try new programs etc..

You are 100% correct on the password.   We have an ipad and he figured figured out the password just from watching us at age 3.    He is now 6 and playing Universe Sandbox which is a fairly advanced space simulation. http://universesandbox.com/.  Otherwise I think he can do everything else with ipads as that is what they use in school

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users