Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I determine which Windows 10 update my system needs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vitogee

vitogee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

The last Windows 10 update was installed eleven months ago. The automatic update feature is not working. I tried to manually down load an update, but when I ran the update I received an error message telling me the update was not for my machine.

Is there a program or website that will scan my computer and tell me what Windows updates I need?

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gellegbs

gellegbs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

Have you tried running the windows update program and check manually? What does it say when you run the program?

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Please post a screenshot of the exact error message

Also run winver and post a screenshot of the result

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

It would be nice to know whether or not you have solved your situation.

I'm not an expert but it looks like you had an insider build and it reached its expiration date.

Whether or not that's the case this article may be helpful for you

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/complete-list-of-windows-insider-build-numbers/d1583f70-8e7f-45b9-8bf7-bfa5ae673303

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

I would suggest downloading media creation tool and running it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 vitogee

vitogee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

My apologies for not responding sooner. The holidays and some family issues put this problem on a back burner. I finally got back to it late last night.

At the time of my original post Windows services said the search function was working, but when I clicked on it I got nothing. Contana was on the screen, but again when I clicked on it I got nothing. Windows services said that windows updates was on, but no updates were being posted. I tried a whole bunch of stuff yesterday but nothing worked. I could not even get Windows to search for an update, therefore I could not get a screen shot of an error message. Finally I bit the bullet and did a Windows reset. I really did not want to but felt I had no choice.

I was still having some issues, but some of the updates installed. The anniversary updates would not. I had no antivirus software running since the reset took care of that program. Finally I bypassed the firewall and that did the trick. Everything is up to date.

I really appreciate everyone who replied to my original post. It is the help of people like you that make life with a computer so much easier.

Thank you

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

Open up command prompt as admin. and run sfc /scannow. What are the results?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Glad to hear that you resolved the issue of the updates.  If you have any further problems please open another topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users