Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System upgrade / New PC help- CAD, 3DS MAX, ADOBE, V-RAY

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jaseem

jaseem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

Hi All,

I have an workstation in office with following configuration,

Processor-Intel Core i7 X980@ 3.33Ghz
Motherboard- Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Memory- 12GB DDR3 Memory (6 x 2GB tri channel kingston hyper X)
Graphics - Nvdia Quadro FX 1800 GDDR3 768MB,
HDD - 2 X SEAGATE 1 TB HARDDISK 7200RPM/10000
PSU - 800 Watt
Used Softwares - Autocad 2014/2015, V- RAY , 3DS MAX 2015, ADOBE SUITE CS6 /CC , OFFICE SUITE

I need to upgrade this PC for better performance. Can you tell me What all changes can be made?

1). Can i use M2000 graphics card? Is it sufficient to perform well? What should be taken care while purchasing RAM?
2). Which memory module should I purchase? Which frequency of DDR3? ECC/Non ECC? What should be taken care while purchasing RAM?
3) I believe putting an SSD for OS and Applications will improve the loading time.
4). What all other configuration changes can be done?
5) Is upgrading this or purchasing a brand new is good? Branded or Custom build?
6) Can some body give mid-range spec for above application? System is 24 X7 ON! office use

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

2. I would buy 6*8GB DDR-1600 and hope those 8 GB sticks work. Non-ECC.

3. Definitely.

4. I see no reason to switch CPU or motherboard. You can add more HDD space of course.

5. If you want to upgrade, wait for AMD Zen as Intel's development has been stalling long time.

6. Didn't understand that one.

#3 jaseem

jaseem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

1). No answer?

2) 8GB X 6 sticks wont work i guess as the maximum supported is 24GB?

6) To buy new computer for above mentioned applications which desktop computer would you suggest?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

1). No answer?

2) 8GB X 6 sticks wont work i guess as the maximum supported is 24GB?

6) To buy new computer for above mentioned applications which desktop computer would you suggest?

1. Don't know enough about Quadros.

2. When that was written, there were no 8 GB modules available. So hard to promise more with only 4GB modules.

6. None at this time. Zen should bring something new to high end finally.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:37 AM

If were talking all way on work station / server then ECC ram and your video card is more or less a geforce 9 9800GTX with a lot of ram or something like, i can get cards like that used for like $20 so id replace that.

Ram i don't know, doing simple tests in regards to memory use spells it out clear as day as to if you need more, i don't know what the memory requirements are for the software your using is you see.

More then that i probly wouldn't change anything.

Ps: wana sell your card, ill give you $35 for it.

Edited by shadow_647, 20 December 2016 - 03:38 AM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:50 AM

1). Can i use M2000 graphics card? Is it sufficient to perform well? What should be taken care while purchasing RAM?

I don't see any reason why you cannot use an M2000 graphics card.  It is massively higher performance than the FX1800 (which you might expect when comparing a 2009 graphics card with a current one).

2). Which memory module should I purchase? Which frequency of DDR3? ECC/Non ECC? What should be taken care while purchasing RAM?

ECC RAM is not compatible with the i7-980X memory controller.  The maximum memory it will support is 24 Gb (6 x 4Gb) and officially only supports DDR3-1066 speed.  That doesn't mean you can't use the much more commonly found DDR3-1333 modules, but it may not be able to run it at full speed when all slots are populated.  I would look to buy from a supplier who is willing to guarantee the upgrade will work (or give you a full refund if it doesn't).  For example, Crucial memory offers this guarantee if you use their memory configurator.  Some early DDR3 controllers are extremely fussy about the RAM they work with...

3) I believe putting an SSD for OS and Applications will improve the loading time.

Yes it will do. SSD's work best when the HDD controller is in AHCI mode.

4). What all other configuration changes can be done?

Short of a whole system change, I don't think there's much.

5) Is upgrading this or purchasing a brand new is good? Branded or Custom build?

This is something only you can decide.  This route will be significantly more expensive than buying a memory upgrade and a video card.  I'd agree with the view that you should wait to see what AMD's Zen offers before buying.  If rumours are to be believed they will offer a lot for the money, and will give the market a much needed shake up.  But going on what's currently available a "high end" (Socket 2011-3) i7 or Xeon could give a useful performance boost over your current system.  The "mid range" i7's, like the Skylake i7-6700K, would be a much more marginal upgrade (probably not worth it).

6) Can some body give mid-range spec for above application? System is 24 X7 ON! office use

Something like this maybe... https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dq3DQV

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2016 - 01:12 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 jaseem

jaseem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

Perfect answers. In between can I install  1).8GB 1866Mhz Kingston fury X 3 into slots 1,3,5 or 2). 4gb 1600Mhz normal without cooling x 6 slots or 3). 2X4GB 1333Mhz furry in first 4 slots and 2x 8GB 1866MHZ in slots 5 and 6? getting 4GB fury or any cooler model with 1366Mhz is difficult..Available is 4GB normal 1600Mhz . Will i get any errors after upgrade? Or it will clock to frequency supported by CPU ?

2). Do i need to add something like PCIE controller for SSD? or G SATA 3 ports will work fine? if so suggest brands for PCIE

3).Why did you gave me 6800K instead of 6700K which has higher ratings?

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

For memory, you probably can install 48GB (6*8GB). Once again, that 24 GB limit is only because with 4 GB sticks it's impossible to get more and manufacturer just haven't updated spec sheet. There is no "24GB hard limit" form memory.

2. SATA 3 ports will work fine.

3. Higher ratings for what? 6800K is much better. The fact i7-6700K is using crappy paste under heat spreader is alone good enough reason to go with soldered HS (i7-6800K).

Another question. You are asking about upgrading old machine and getting another new one. So you want to get two computers or just one? So is that question 6 separate from other questions?

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

I wouldn't replace the old CPU Id just overclock it, could get +1000mgz out of it if you know what your doing with good cooling, new video card is a must as well.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

Mixing memory modules is very hit and miss.  It might work, it might not.  But I would advise against it.  Again, I would just suggest buying from a supplier who is willing to take memory back without question if it doesn't work...  I'm just thinking back to an old case on here where someone with an old Intel DDR3 system  (Core 2 system, P45 chipset, 2008 or 2009 manufacture) went through several different types of memory which should (in theory) have worked, and in one case was told it would work by a memory companies tech support department, only to find that the system wouldn't POST with any new memory tried.

2) Your current system will not be able to boot from a PCIE SSD.  I think for most people the real benefits of PCIE SSD (over SATA) are going to be limited compared to the more major performance jump between a mechanical HDD and solid state, of any type.

3) The 6800K is the superior CPU, particularly for multi-threaded loads, which I believe most of the programs you are using are.  The i7-6700K is somewhat faster on single thread performance.  This is due to it's higher clock speed mainly.  They are unlocked so you could address that through overclocking, although on a business system stability concerns with doing that may be more important.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 jaseem

jaseem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Ok thanks !  Can i replace all 6 slots with  4GB DDR3 twinmos normal desktop memory, my current is Kingston FURY....

Edited by jaseem, 21 December 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Yes you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users