Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen during booting: caused by video card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TornadoJ

TornadoJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

system:
AMDX6 with 16Gb of RAM, SSD 60 Gb (Windows drive) and HDD of 1,5 Tb (DATA drive)
firstly I used it with Windows 7, then 8, since summer last year with Windows 10.
Latest OS updates where always applied.
Also latest driver for the video card (ATI/AMD HD6850) was installed.

1. Saturday afternoon following situation happened: the screen flickered and then the screen was shifted to the right, meaning that the Start-button was approximately 100 pixels to the right. The right area (with the clock) then appeared on the left. Looked funny at first, but I could easily close all my programs and files and reboot. After rebooting I got a black screen.
2. pushing reset results in a black screen after loading
3. during the startup of Windows choose the option to do an automatic repair. didn't help
4. startup to command prompt and execute commands to fix the MBR. Seemed successful, but still the black screen after booting and before login.
5. during the startup of Windows choose to do a "Reset PC" or "Refresh PC". both didn't help
6. restore an image of the Windows drive with a clean Windows 10 installation. After 2-5 minutes this results in a black screen.
7. pushing reset again results in a black screen after loading
8. take my DVD of Windows 7 and install it on the SSD. works.
9. Upgrade immediately again to Windows 10. After 2-5 minutes this results in a black screen.
10. take my DVD of Windows 7 and install it on the HDD. works.
11. Upgrade immediately again to Windows 10. After 2-5 minutes this results in a black screen.

So, the same problem occurs with both drives
I also unplugged+plugged in the memory and ran memory diagnostics, but no problems here.
Checked for dust in the desktop. Nearly anything there.

Currently I suspect that my video card is causing these problems. Can it be that when Windows 10 gets into a higher resolution it crashes?
Or any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Sounds like a video card problem. Do not have the computer connected to the internet when doing a clean install of Windows 10. Immediately disable the ability of Windows 10 to update your drivers. Install the last AMD driver for your card here. It looks like AMD is no longer going to support your card with driver updates which means any driver update will be one provided by Microsoft should they decide to do so. There are going to be three major updates for Windows 10 next year. Any of those could pose a problem.

If Windows 7 had no problems then that pretty much answers the question. You can always go back to Windows 7 provided you have your license. It will be supported until 2020.

#3 TornadoJ

TornadoJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

I can't be sure that Windows 7 had no problems. Just after I installed Windows 7 I went on with the upgrade.

I have a valid license for Windows 7, 8 and 10 (10 is free if you have a valid license for 7 or 8). But once you are using a certain Windows you don't want to downgrade....

Perhaps I'll just try another video card, which is more recent, then I'm sure that this is the real reason behind this problem.

Anyway, I leave the problem behind for a couple of days because I'm on a work trip. I'll post my progress here.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

You can downgrade to Windows 7 from 10 if you have a valid license but that decision is up to you. You just can't be running the OS you upgraded from and 10 at the same time.

Good Luck.

#5 TornadoJ

TornadoJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

I solved it by replacing my video card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users