Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General privacy and Windows 10 Privacy - advice?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JonWinston

JonWinston

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

I hope this is in the right place! After being worried about malware and spyware (got a thread open on it on relevant board) I turned to the issues around Windows 10. 

I worked through this piece and did as recommended. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html?page=2

After watching this video, would you knowledgble folk advise taking the additional steps advised? 

In a nutshell, I *think* the additional steps are:

1. Download/run Spybot Anti-beacon (at 9.00 onwards). 

2. How to manually turn off the services that send diagnostics and telemetry to Microsoft (at 22.38 onwards).

In addition, this Asus computer has the following programs:

Asus Giftbox

Asus HiPost

Asus Live Update 

Asus Smart Gesture

Asus Splendid Video Entertainment Technology

Asus USB Charger Plus

ATK Package (Asus)

WPS Office for Asus

I have no idea what any of this. I will not consciously use it, AFAIK. Can any of these programs compromise security? I don't trust my bank, my ISP isn't that secure, so I don't want any more loopholes, LOL! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Winspy10 is a lost cause, and a bata Os thats broken on so meny levels its not funny, just stick with win7 imho.

Windows 10 PC’s phone home even after privacy hardening

When you install Windows 10 on a new PC or upgrade an existing version of Windows to the new operating system, you get the option to customize select preferences or use the defaults instead.

If you select to customize, you get the option to disable three pages full of features related to privacy.

While that is a good start at limiting Windows 10's hunger for data, it is nowhere near sufficient to keep the operating system from talking with Microsoft servers regularly.

A user on Voat analyzed the network traffic of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system using a DD-WRT router and a Linux Mint laptop with remote logging and Windows 10 Enterprise installed on Virtualbox recently.

He turned off all privacy-related features during custom installation, and let the computer sit idle for eight hours straight afterwards logging network traffic.

In the eight hours Windows 10 made 5508 connection attempts.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/08/windows-10-phones-home-even-after-privacy-hardening/

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:

Resources to help protect privacy:

Tools To protect your browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites:

Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

Other Tools To protect your browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

Spybot Anti-Beacon

Spybot Anti-Beacon is a standalone tool which was designed to block and stop the various tracking (telemetry) issues present in Windows 10. It has since been modified to block similar tracking functionality in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.

While Spybot Anti-Beacon is simple, free and easy to use...these are the drawbacks (limitations) provided by various reviews of the product.

Spybot Anti-Beacon is very easy to use, but provides no explanation of what it's doing, and doesn't allow you to disable/ enable most settings individually. For experts only.

Spybot Anti-Beacon Review by PC Advisor

Unfortunately...there's no detail on what you're disabling, and no way to toggle individual settings: it's strictly all or nothing. The only detailed control you get is under the "Optional" tab, where you’re able to tweak any or all of four features: Web Search Group Policy, Cortana Group Policy, OneDrive Service and Remote Registry Service.

Spybot Anti-Beacon Review by Betanews

The tool unfortunately does not give you the option to select the feature/s that you may want to disable.

Spybot Anti-Beacon Review by the WindowsClub

...there is still room for improvement to meet the users' requirements. At the moment, there are competitor applications that do more. For instance, it would be great to have the application disable the access of apps to wireless connections, block localization access and services, disable the automatic Windows updates or the feedback reminders.

Spybot Anti-Beacon Review by Softpedia

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Quietman7, if Windows 10 is a little similar to Windows 7, one can turn off something called Customer Experience in Task Scheduler and disable same elsewhere.  Would this be a good idea for Windows 10?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

I do not have access to Windows 10 so I've never used it.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

Same and never will for life, Iv read too much about the topic so far and once long ago it was windows 98me that was the most hated version of windows then came vista and now its win8/win10, lets just hope the next version they make doesn't suck because if it douse past win7 im not going anyware.

Even win7 gets on my nerves and befor i touch win8/win10 ill go use Linux.

Edited by shadow_647, 19 December 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#8 JonWinston

JonWinston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

Bleepin' Janitor, great links, I'll work through them later. And thanks for the heads-up with Ant-Beacon, too, really appreciate that.

This whole privacy thing is a minefield. I was perturbed to find out recently that if I, say, go on any shall we say 'adult' (or any other) site that my ISP can not just see that I have been there (I knew that) but see the pages and content I have been watching! 

I think you experienced folk will find it hilarious and naive that this was a shock to me, but I was astonished. Does that also mean that when I log into my emails they can see my email inbox, the content of emails and my sign-in details?

Wow. That's worrying in an age when I am doing most of my bill paying, shopping, banking via the internet and email. 

Edited by JonWinston, 20 December 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

You're welcome and good luck.

#10 JonWinston

JonWinston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

Out of all of the above options what is the minimum that should be done if one is concerned about privacy? 

I've got Adblock installed

Spyware Blaster is installed

I've followed all of the basic instructions to modify the Windows 10 settings to minimise the data sent back to Microsoft

I'll do the blocking via MVPS hosts as soon as I can figure out how to do it

I've thought about installing Disconnect to stop tracking but am not keen that this program itself says it reads and can change your internet activity. The alternative is PrivacyBadger which it seems offers less protection but is more user friendly if you're not knowledgeable. 

Minefield!

There are also these options: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

Edited by JonWinston, 21 December 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Dont know why you want to even want to bother with winspy10, even with out the spyware topic its far from being a good Os.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

...I'll do the blocking via MVPS hosts as soon as I can figure out how to do it...

How to Block unwanted Ads, Banners, & Cookies with Custom MVPS Hosts File

Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

Special Note: new Windows 10 users ... the MVPS Hosts file installs just fine, no need to make any changes.

Simply follow the instructions for Windows 8.

#13 JonWinston

JonWinston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:16 AM

Dont know why you want to even want to bother with winspy10, even with out the spyware topic its far from being a good Os.

When you buy a machine with it already installed, what can you do?

#14 JonWinston

JonWinston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:17 AM

Thanks Global Moderator.

One last Q - if I went and set-up an outlook account on the PC would that lead to more Windows spying or undo any of the the privacy settings I've set up?*

*It will NOT be the account used to sign into the PC, that's a local account. It will just be one which is used on the PC. 

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:46 AM

Beat me, all i know is if you cair about privacy you have to be on guard all the time, seems its a free for all rape on that  topic of late from everyware.

When you buy a machine with it already installed, what can you do?

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

And get your self a copy of win 7 64bit ultimate from somewere, can't help you on how you can do that, just use the force.

If your not a gamer linux works well too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users