Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU causing bios trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zimbabwe

zimbabwe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:08 AM

Hi, i just recently changed CPU and its causing some really strange behaviour. I originally had a Pentium D 820 but i replaced it with a Core2 Quad Q8200 and the bios doesnt agree with my decision. I can run the pentium day and night with no issues but with the Core2 in there's almost like a 20 second timer from power on until everything freezes.

Issues:
*bios stops responding
*cant even get to boot because the bios freezes after checking DMI data
*cant enable failsafe bios defaults, just opening that menu will freeze it

It's a GA-G33M-DS2R and Gigabyte's website specifically says the Q8200 is supported with my current bios revision.
Eveything just hangs, wont accept any keyboard input and the bios clock stops dead. I noticed that if theres a cursor or a Y/N prompt onscreen it will keep flashing no matter what.

I've reset the cmos battery, ive disconnected the power and left it for a bit, i checked that the CPU isnt overheating and dying mid POST, checked the CPU wattage was within the limits of my old psu and MB. I dont have any other ideas.
Like i said i can be stuck at the bios watching the internal clock get stuck at 12:00:53 for 10 minutes then shut it all down and put the pentium back in and i'm straight through POST into windows.
Any help would be appreciated

Edit: sorry if this doesnt belong in the hardware section 

Edited by zimbabwe, 19 December 2016 - 08:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

I'm not a hardware expert but the Pentium D specification is a 800MHz FSB. The Quad is 1333 MHz. Did you set the FSB in BIOS? This is from page 54 of the manual.

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) Allows you to manually set the CPU host frequency. This item is configurable only if the CPU Host Clock Control option is enabled. For an 800 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 200 MHz. For a 1066 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 266 MHz. For a 1333 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 333 MHz. Important It is highly recommended that the CPU frequency be set in accordance with the CPU specifications.

Edit: I am not sure how this change would affect your ability to return to the Pentium D processor.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

I know what id do, start the computer with Pentium D and go right to the bios, setup all cpu setting manually by hand and lock em at very slow speeds, then change cpus and slowly bring the speed up and see what happens.

Burn in software recommended as well for testing.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Ps: was the cpu new out of a sealed box or used off Craigslist kind of thing.

#4 zimbabwe

zimbabwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

John- i tried setting the FSB to 1333mhz and the only result was given more of a time limit to work in the setup menu.

Shadow- when i first installed the new processor its speed was 1.40 ghz according to the bios and it was acting stupid even then. It's an ebay processor sent tested and working (supposedly).

Some more info: i was trolling through the bios menu waiting for it to drop everything when i noticed this menu.
https://imgur.com/gallery/e5HSQ
VCORE = fail cant be helpful right?

I also decided to be stupid and remove all my ram but one, now the computer works 100% fine (VCORE still says fail though).

I dont understand how removing ram solved my problem entirely when all my ram worked flawlessly on the pentium, if anyone wants to shed light i'd be grateful

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Are all your RAM sticks identical? Did you try setting your BIOS back to default? There may be a jumper on the MB to do this. Does the computer run normally with two sticks?

#6 zimbabwe

zimbabwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

Are all your RAM sticks identical? Did you try setting your BIOS back to default? There may be a jumper on the MB to do this. Does the computer run normally with two sticks?

here's the sticks i had

2x2gb kingston 1033mhz

1x1gb kingston 800mhz

1x1gb acer god knows mhz (it had 533 in the serial number so i'll assume its 533

I went 1 by one putting sticks in, then i found i actually had another 1gb kingston stick laying about so i replaced the acer one with the kingston and everything is working 100% now.

I set the bios to default but after i had booted into windows and confirmed it was working in any capacity i changed all the settings to suit my system.

It still says VCORE = FAIL but i dont understand that at all and everything seems to be running smoothly, should i run a stress test like shadow suggested?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

From what I have read having a Vcore failure is nothing to worry about if the computer is running fine. It may be a sensor failure. If you run CPUz does it give the proper Vcore reading?

#8 zimbabwe

zimbabwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

​What do you mean the proper reading?

​If you mean the cpu voltage being within intel spec then yes it is.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

Yes, that is what I meant. I wouldn't worry about it not showing in BIOS?

#10 zimbabwe

zimbabwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:44 PM

​Yeah sounds good man, i was just a little worried i may have been running my cpu at a trillion gigawatts or something and roasting it.

​Thanks for the help regardless.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

No Problem, you can keep an eye on your temps using HWMonitor.

131782.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2016 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users