Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up whole computer with a system image or something else?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

Hello. I want to make a backup of my whole computer, or rather the information that is stored in the Windows partition. I want to install another OS to my computer as a dual boot, and I want to save the current computer system settings and files in case they would get corrupted. I had an idea to create a system image onto a 64 GB USB flash drive / memory stick. Apparently the Windows System Image tool does not like it. I think that a system image contains all the data that is currently on a computer. Am I correct? Would it be better to just copy/paste all the data from the C:\ drive onto the USB external storage device?

rQhImO.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:49 AM

Nope it isn't a good idea to copy paste all the files in C drive onto a flash/ hard disk. This is because the system backup is a disk image of your current system. It includes the files data and settings.

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

Acronis True Image, AOMEI Backupper, EaseusTodo Backup, Macrium Reflect, Clonezilla...

All can easily produce an image (or a complete clone) that will allow you to restore even a drive setup with a mutiboot/Grub menu /multiple partitions. (I've done it multiple times with all the above products)

Pretty much any modern Linux distro these days will easily allow installing Linux after a Windows install, save for perhaps an encrypted Bitlockered drive, the Windows partition will be shrunk, allowing you to specify how much space to devote to your Linux install. 

(I'd make an image backup of your existing install using one or two of the above products in case something goes wrong, however; I occasionally test restore an image to a spare drive and test it just as a confidence builder in the process...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

My three computers have an OS partition and a data partition on one physical internal hard-drive, respectively.  Each computer has two pancake platter-driven external usb ex1TB HDs.  Weekly - bi-monthly, Macrium Reflect or Image for Windows is used to make a full image each of the OS and data partitions, onto both dedicated ext HDs.  While I've had to restore folders and files back onto a data partition from time to time, I have had to restore an OS partition a few times.  For this thread's purpose -- I recommend Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, or anything mentioned earlier to make full images onto any affordable, reliable external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users