Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox crashing all the time

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

Like the title says, my Firefox crashes a lot. Sometimes it will crash while it's reloading the pages it's reopening from the crash. It's also very annoying because I have my windows lined up in a certain way, and when I reopen all the windows from the crash box, it usually puts them in a random order, so I then have to close them and reopen them in the right order using the recently closed windows in the history drop down. Some times it will be fine for hours, then bam, a crash. Other times it happens in quick successions, and I'm just getting tired of it, so can anyone help me figure out why it is happening?

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

Beats me, but buffer overflow attacks are common depending were you surf, if the hack attack doesn't work it just bombs the browser.

you using noscript plugin ?

Updated to newer version of fox ?

You using flash player and if so is it updated ?

system stats, Os version plz and how much ram do you have

#3 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

I am using noscript, but I just installed it recently, and have had these crashes long before installing it. I also have adblock if that matters any.

Version 50.1.0 for Firefox, which should be the newest version.

Flash version is 24,0,0,186, which is the newest version.

System is as follows:

MSI 990FXA-GD80

AMD FX-8350

AMD R9 280

8GB G-Skill ram

Windows XP 64bit, or Windows Server 2003, whichever you prefer.

Anything else?

Case - Antec DF-35

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Odd, you know of any sites that make it happen if so link one and ill go thier, im in fox too.

Or is it just random crashing ?

#5 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:51 AM

Did you try the refresh FF option it usually works for me.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

Hi, @dnap:

Most performance problems with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

These articles contain helpful advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting:

Firefox crashes - Support.mozilla.org
Firefox crashes - Mozillazine forum

Firefox - Standard Diagnostic

Mozilla Safe Mode

If the suggestions there do not resolve the issue, then you might consider posting over at the user-to-user community at forums.mozillazine.org
The experts there can analyze the data in your crash reports, to help determine the cause and the solution.

HTH,
MM

#7 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

It's just random crashing, it can, and will happen on any site it seems.

Where do I find this refresh firefox option?

I'll take a look at those links and see what I can find, thanks.

Case - Antec DF-35

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hi:

It could be hardware, confuguration/settings, plug-ins, add-ons/extensions, problems with the websites themselves, etc.

Even if the crashes are not frequent or consistently reproducible, the steps suggested in the links I provided may help.

They explain how to proceed better than I can.

And the folks at forums.mozillazine.org are great at analyzing crash reports...

To refresh Firefox:

Reset Firefox

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Cheers,

MM

#9 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

Well before trying to do the refreshing firefox option, I wanted to try a uninstall of flash player first. I followed all the steps in https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html, but now it won't let me reinstall it. Whenever I go to the https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ page, the install now link just links to the adobe homepage. Does anyone know why this is, and any way to fix this issue?

Edited by dnap, 19 December 2016 - 03:17 PM.

Case - Antec DF-35

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

Try full installers.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

Ps: with out flash when sufting the net was the crash problem still their ?

#11 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Ahh, didn't know that existed, but that was able to work. However, when I installed it, I get an error.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Temp\{E23013AA-A647-4F54-8D98-EB3CCBE12EF6}\InstallFlashPlayer.exe

The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Not sure if that is anything serious or not, but I would always get that message every time there was an update to flash as well. That's why I wanted to try an uninstall and fresh install to see if that would fix anything.

As for firefox crashing without flash installed, it did crash after I ran the uninstaller, but before deleting everything in the folders that the link said to do. After restarting my pc, it didn't crash, but like I said, it could go hours without crashing, so there's no way to know if it's flash related, other than running it without flash for a while to see if I keep getting the crashes.

Case - Antec DF-35

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Odd, i know in the past fox had a case of memory leak depending on what version of fox were talking about and my self sometimes i have fox running for like 8 hours with 20+ pages going, im like that when im doing research and at times if its up and running too long it will bomb.

Mostly stable at my end overall using version 50, more or less the newest one, and i hardly use JavaScript and no flash player, too many hacks out their for flash and JavaScript and any site can be made with out both as well i couldn't care less about bling bling eye candy sites if to make em that way means to open the door vs spyware,bots and hacker code.

You could try this and see if you have any problems, round of burn in testing might be in order, their many burn in testing apps out their, might want to do the rounds on this topic,keep en eye on your voltages and temps as well when you do.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

What other stuff do you use, play any games ? any problems with other software on the computer ?

And i have no idea whats going on with the flash reinstall deal, but sometimes buggered.

#13 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

Yeah i generally have 6-7 windows open all the time, with about 15 or so tabs between all the windows.

And I use flash player because I spend a lot of time on youtube. I'd rather use html5 on there, but a lot of the times it doesn't work right, and only 360p will be the only option available, but if I use flash, then I have all the quality options available. But since uninstalling and reinstalling flash, it seems to be running smoother, and hasn't crashed yet, so maybe that was the issue. But probably too early to say for sure.

And I ran that passmark a couple times, with no errors, however, trying to run the 3d graphics option, it would either crash, or freeze. Unsure of why, or what that means exactly.

As for what I do on my pc, like I said above, a lot of youtube. Also just regular browsing, listening to music on WMP, downloading music occasionally, and gaming, but that is mostly on emulators. As far as other issues, there isn't many, if any, at least nothing serious I can think of. Main thing is firefox crashing.

Case - Antec DF-35

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Can you give us the data of the WER files?

:step1: AppCrashView by NirSoft

• Download and save AppCrashView from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on AppCrashView.exe and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Highlight (click) on one of the recent Firefox errors.
• On the bottom, there is a large window with a list of the loaded modules. Please copy ALL the information and paste it into your next reply.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#15 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

The readme text says it only works in vista and up, and I'm still on XP/Server 2003.

Case - Antec DF-35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users