Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web of Trust woos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

I like Web of Trust but unfortunately its no longer available on the official software centers if I want to install it in Firefox I have to go to CNet, and I'm kind of blind without WOT also I am a Linux user so I don't have many options for Website reputation add-ons I know theres Avast Online Security for Chrome but one two problems one it doesn't support DuckDuckGo and the Firefox version isn't available on Mozilla.org I can use it on my Windows HDD but not Linux. :(

And I know why Mozilla and Google don't have WOT on there add-on sites anymore(privacy violations). But I still kinda like WOT I wish I could find a proper substitute, Who knows maybe the the Virustotal team will make a safe surf add-on.

If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

This is WHY  it has been blocked/stopped

HERE  is an Alternative....I have not used this myself...read it, try it....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:56 PM

Greetings,

VirusTotal has created an add-on called VTzilla. It's similar to what you are looking for — you simply right-click and send the link to VirusTotal. (Of course VirusTotal doesn't give "reputation" ratings.)

VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.

The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button

BTW, here's a quote from quietman7 about all of these site rating add-ons:

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor), WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs available on web sites which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. The use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

This is WHY  it has been blocked/stopped

HERE  is an Alternative....I have not used this myself...read it, try it....

I use Fox Web Security ProCon Latte Content Filter seems similar to FWS, FWS uses various Public DNS services to block bad sites.

And bwv848 I use to use VTzilla but it hasn't been updated since 2012 and its experimental. I hope the WOT team redeems themselves and improves there privacy policies because I'm kind of blind without them.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 19 December 2016 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users