Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BF1, The Division, Skyrim SE - Hard Crashes, No Error Screen, Restart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Krazyhawk

Krazyhawk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hey there. First of all, here are my PC's specs:

OS - Windows 10 64 - bit

CPU - Intel i7 4790k @ 4.00 GHz

RAM - 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz

Motherboard - ASRock Z97 Extreme4

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA)

Storage - 238 GB SSD (OS, Programs), 1TB WD SATA (Games, files)

PSU - Corsair HX750

So the two games in the title, BF1 and Skyrim SE, are the main games that I am having problems with. However, I've had The Division crash on me as well. What happens is I'm going along, playing like normal, then my computer just shuts off instantly. No warning. No error. Just black screen, then it kicks back on.

I've found that if I play BF1 or Skyrim in windowed mode, around 1280 x 720, that I can actually play the game. The crashing still happens, but at random times. Sometimes instantly, sometimes after a little while, sometimes not at all.

In full screen, guarantee hard crash within a few minutes of getting the game running. BF1 barely make it into the menu, Skyrim as soon as I hit continue to load my game, crash.

What I have done:

Completely stripped graphics drivers, installed most up to date.

Ran PSU test, sent output to a friend, who told me everything read normal.

Ran a stress test for 45 minutes (a co-worker recommended it, I apologize that I can't remember the name of it), and passed with flying colors. No overheating or crash.

I continually monitor my temps with a program called Speccy, and can say that nothing is over-heating.

What could be the problem? This is very frustrating. My brother has a similar PC build and runs these things no problemo. Any advice would be much appreciated.

It is worth noting that I my monitor is not hooked up via HDMI, it is VGA (don't have a monitor that can take HDMI, but will be getting one). I've been told this shouldn't be an issue, but still worth noting I guess.

EDIT: Tested and confirmed that hooking up an HDMI monitor still has same issue..

UPDATE: So I've gotten to the part of the Skyrim story where you fight the first dragon. Haven't been able to play more than 5 minutes at a time. Crash. Crash. Crash. Crash. Crash.

Thank you everyone in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hi Zrazyhawk. Did you also test your memory with memtest86? What brand and rated timings are they (if you can find out). Also your ASRock Extreme 4 what bios verion are you currently running?

Edited by Zone_86, 26 December 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

When said "completely stripped graphics drivers", what did you mean? Ran the Nvidia uninstaller or something else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users