Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Taskbar load time and Start button right-click options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ruzicka

ruzicka

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hoping the pros here can help me with this weird problem.

For a while now, whenever I restart or boot up, while the main boot up goes relatively quickly, it takes a long, LONG time before any of the program/app icons appear on the taskbar.  We're talking at least 5 minutes!

Also, I've noticed that when I try to access any of the options available when I right-click the Start button (command prompt, disk management, etc), none of them work.  I can access these functions in other ways, but not by way of the Start button.

I've tried to have Microsoft tech support help me.  So far I've reinstalled Windows twice (in-place and USB drive) and created a new user account.  None of these things have fixed the problems.

One thing I am trying to avoid is a clean reinstallation.  I have several programs that I've either lost the original installation CD/DVD or they've gotten damaged.  So if I did a clean installation, I would lose those programs.

Any ideas here?  I would be VERY appreciative of any and all constructive help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

Have you tried seeing what shell extentions (context menu handlers) you have and if one of them is causing a problem?

Either use CCleaner ..startup menu..context menu tab, or download ShellexView

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

#3 ruzicka

ruzicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

I will check out CCleaner and ShellexView.  Are you suggesting that shell extensions may be causing both problems?

Is it pretty self-explanatory how to use these programs to check out shell extensions?

Thanks!

#4 ruzicka

ruzicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

Looks like the shell extensions were indeed the cause of not being able to use any of the function under the Start right-click menu.  No effect on the taskbar slow loading though.

If I could just figure out that taskbar problem, all would be good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users