Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task bar freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

I notice from time to time, that the apps I have on the task bar freeze or are dead. I overcome the situation by CTRL+ALT+DEL. At this point, no need to open Task Manager. I then hit "cancel" & the machine goes back to normal. But it will come back to that situation once again & I go through the same process. It is a little annoying & wonder what setting(s) could overcome this glitch?

It happens to be a former Toshiba Satellite that was a Windows 7 Pro. I took advantage of the free upgrade & did so, because of the option of going back if not satisfied. I must say that Windows 10 seems to be faster & I am still getting accustomed to it.

I will also add that the desktop doesn't seem to be affected. I will pay attention to other details, as it might be the browser might be affected when opened? Don't know for sure.

Thanks ahead of time.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

Are you using latest build of Windows 10?

Have you tried moving Edge off the taskbar onto the desktop instead?

#3 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

If you’re on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and have a stuck/buggy app, here’s how to fix it.

1. Open the settings app.
  2. Navigate to System.
  3. In the system sub-menu, navigate to Apps and Features
  4. Search for the app in question.
  5. After selecting the app, select advanced options.
  6. Tap reset.
  7. All data will be deleted, including whatever bug prevents the app from properly working.
  8. You may now re-open the app once more

Reference: https://mspoweruser.com/mspu-solution-windows-10-apps-not-opening-or-hangs-on-launch/

Now if something as simple as that doesn't work lets dig into:

You may have to fix your Windows Store in order to do so, please try the following;

1. Press Windows Key + Q, type powershell and select Windows PowerShell from the results, right click over it and choose Run as administrator.

2. In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, type following command and hit Enter key:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3 .Once the command is successfully executed, you can close Windows PowerShell and reboot the machine. After restarting the system, problems with apps on your Windows should be fixed.

Reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2785715/apps-crashing-open.html

In my experience it's caused by either: Apps caching issues, Operating system files corrupt, Windows File system issues, Anti-Virus software or other conflicting software and Corrupt user profiles. So for now lets just try my above steps and report back what worked or what didn't and we can go from there.

#4 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. 1st, I don't know what app(s) are the issue & another, what is Edge"?

I will fiddle around in the mean time & try to uncover what these are.

#5 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

OK, now I see what Ege is, the former Explorer.

#6 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

That's what Microsoft and some others may state "The Former Internet Explorer"

EDGE is the new "Microsoft Recommended Browser" and is set as default on new Windows 10 computers and Windows 10 System Installations however Internet Explorer was not entirely replaced but left in the system to where you can still use it if need be. You can find it by using Cortana Search box on the bottom left of your task bar by searching "Internet Explorer"

Internet Explorer is still used by old or just even some up to date business web based applications that still need it I work for a company that makes me load about 17 different tools on shift and 3 of them need it sadly. I think the post here from "opera" regarding moving EDGE to the desktop was trying to get at was whether or not the crashing still happens if you open Windows 10 applications on a shortcut via the desktop vs the task bar.

If apps open fine by opening them outside of the task bar EX: Desktop shortcut to a Windows 10 app like "EDGE" it would maybe tell us if your app store is bad or not. I'd recommend following my last post and see what result you get upon completion if you're still getting "Task bar freezing"

Happy Holidays! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users