Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much difference can upgrading to an SSD make?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Reeshabh

Reeshabh

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

I am too confused why my laptop is becoming so slow. These are my specs. Is it the harddrive? Or the processor. Not much into such technical stuffs. But will upgrading to SSD make my system considerably faster?

These are the current specs:-

Processor

========

Processor- Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz

Manufacturer- Intel

Speed- 2.4 GHz

Number of Cores- 2

Memory

=======

RAM 3.0 GB

Video Card

=========

Video Card- Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer- Intel

Chipset- Intel® HD Graphics

Dedicated Memory- 64 MB

Total Memory- 1.5 GB

Operating System

===============

Operating System- Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Service Pack- 0

Size 64-bit

Edition-Pro

Version 10.0.14393

Locale 4009

Hard Drive

=========

Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9320325AS

320GB

5400 RPM

8MB Cache

SATA 3.0Gb/s

2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

SSD would make your computer much faster.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

I am too confused why my laptop is becoming so slow. These are my specs. Is it the harddrive? Or the processor. Not much into such technical stuffs. But will upgrading to SSD make my system considerably faster?

Do SSD make things faster, yes and no, it is faster then the old stile HDDs that for shoure but that might not be what going, or why your system seems to be slower then it use to.

when the last time to reinstalled windows and or did a good cleanup of useless programs.

I see as well you only have 3 gigs ram, depending on what you use / have installed more ram might be of help.

This tool can help you find out whats using up ram and cpu power.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:08 PM

O/S reinstall and upgrading to 8GB of memory, and an SSD would be a massive improvement in terms of how your computer acts/behaves in general speed and fluidity as well as multitasking. It will cut boot up time from a likely 65-80 seconds to 20 seconds and shot down time from 15 seconds to 5 seconds. File transfer will be dramatically improved. Basic OS tasks will seem like they are on steroids. SSD is one of the best investments for overall computing improvement experience we have had in the past 15 years.

Edited by Zone_86, 18 December 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#5 Reeshabh

Reeshabh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

O/S reinstall and upgrading to 8GB of memory, and an SSD would be a massive improvement in terms of how your computer acts/behaves in general speed and fluidity as well as multitasking. It will cut boot up time from a likely 65-80 seconds to 20 seconds and shot down time from 15 seconds to 5 seconds. File transfer will be dramatically improved. Basic OS tasks will seem like they are on steroids. SSD is one of the best investments for overall computing improvement experience we have had in the past 15 years.

So I should be getting both RAM as well as SSD? I mean can not only SSD make it? I just have to do some codes taught in school, browsing the net, playing light games like agar.io, watching yt.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Yes you can do with an SSD for now, and if only light games with low to medium settings you can be ok but remember that your laptop is using Intel i_GPU so you can't do too much with regards to gaming. So my suggestion would be to go with an SSD now, and see how you like it. Add more memory later and enjoy the laptop with the new SSD.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

You'll see a better improvement by going to the 8GB of RAM.  If you're still not satisfied with the machine then you can install an SSD.  A SSD is about 10 times faster than a mechanical hard drive.  The problem is the only time you'll get the benefit is when the drive is being used, the 8GB of RAM will give you constant benefit.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Agreed kilroy, id go ram first if i had to pick SSD or ram, min ram for the new versions of windows is like 2 gigs.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

I disagree. SSD helps every time when something is loaded into main memory. 8GB memory only helps (against 3GB) when memory runs out. And even when memory runs out, SSD helps a lot.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

The easiest way to find out if more RAM is needed it to check out the Page Faults per Second when using the machine.   Once things are loaded from the drive they are stored in RAM.  If you don't have sufficient RAM data is written to the hard drive to store and if needed has to be read from the hard drive.  SSD is 10x Mechanical hard drive speed, RAM is 10x SSD speed. 

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do for a PC.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

Other thing to is if everything is loaded in to ram you don't need the SSD or old stile HDD anymore, like on my system "stil in winxp" i have mods as to how winxp uses its ram, i have 4 gigs total and the dedacated drive just for windows is a 40gig fat32, thot it was a 80gig in the past but i was wrong hehe.

I have piles of the mini hdds, my 40gig P-ATA pulls off like 30megs per second, vs a new SSD thats super slow and yes it takes the time it takes for windows to load but once done i don't cair cus everything runs in ram and i have the max possable for winxp that is to say 4gigs.

My self id download this to buddys computer and check out what going on ram wise with it a screen shot would be nice of ram use.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Edited by shadow_647, 19 December 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#12 Reeshabh

Reeshabh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

Well well, to everyone above, I tried turning windows settings for maximum performance. It has worked considerably well. I think Windows 10 Pro was the culprit. Now thinking of a light OS then. And thank you everyone for their suggestions. :)

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

If your not a gamer, any version of linux of close to it uses like no ram compaired to newer versions of windows.

#14 Reeshabh

Reeshabh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

If your not a gamer, any version of linux of close to it uses like no ram compaired to newer versions of windows.

I have never used Linux though. I just use Windows for using word, coding etc.

#15 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:17 AM

If you need any help getting started with Linux they have a forum here for that. Adding 2x4 GB for a total of 8GB is very easy with your laptop. However, I would go with the SSD first myself unless you are doing some intensive work tasks with that laptop like video editing etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users