Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD on its way out ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Exoclap

Exoclap

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

So I got this new HP Notebook about 3 years ago and I noticed that it started behaving really strangely. Every time I access the control panel it usually takes even 1-2 minutes for every icon to load and everything to open. Also when I open My Computer it shows like nothing is there even though it should show my hard drive and other external devices but once I re-log everything is there again. Also another thing that I've noticed is when I'm browsing the web it usually sometimes even takes 5 minutes for a website to fully open even though I have quite good internet download speed. Overall everything works pretty slow, when I open programs or files it takes quite a long amount of time for them to open and the operating system sometimes even fully freezes so I have to force reboot the system. I tried HD Tune to check if there are any damaged blocks but it showed that everything is working correctly. Since I have Seagate HDD I used their program to check the disk. I downloaded the program and burned it on a CD but for some reason it would never boot up. I also tried HP HDD Self-Test. The first quick test passed but the second one displayed an Error: Read Failure.

So my guess is that the HDD is on the way out but I'm not sure so I came here to ask what you guys think about this situation. The pictures that I've posted bellow show how I burned the Seagate HDD test program to a CD, how I set up the boot order and the HP HDD self-test results.

Would really appreciate all the help.

UPDATE: So I just used Seagate windows diagnostic tool and I first ran the short generic test which passed but when I ran S.M.A.R.T Scan and Long generic scan the software reported that the tests failed and that there could be damaged sectors which can cause the HDD to become slow. They recommended that I should replace the disk as soon as possible so I don't lose the data.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

I take the results of either the SeaTools for Windows or SeaTools for DOS...as being reliable  They know more about this than I ever could.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Run Seatools for DOS; I like it better because it by-passes Windows entirely. Run the short test; If it messages you that SMART has tripped and asks you if you want to continue, select YES. I think your drive is in the process of failing, I suggest that you immediately back up any data/programs you want to save. Once the drive fails entirely you won't be able to access it any more.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users