Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with hard drive after partitioning and installing Linux Mint

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 blatini609

blatini609

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hey guys,

I was trying to set up dual boot on my Windows 10 desktop. Current setup is:

256GB SSD C:\
2TB WD D:\

D:\ drive has always shown that it is 2TB in Windows previously. I had created a 100 GB partition on the 2TB WD so I could install Linux Mint. I goofed up and installed the boot files to the drive itself instead of one of the two partitions I created.

Now when I load Windows my D:\ drive shows as 186GB. When I boot Linux from my CD as if I were trying to install again, it shows the drive as 2TB. I have tried using a couple different programs but I haven't had any luck. All help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

It's possible teh 186GB is NTFS and the rest of the disk is showing as unallocated because it is a linux file system. What is shown in Disk Management for your D: drive? 

If you boot your linux disk and then open the "Disks" program it will show all partitions and what file systems they are. Type Disks in the search box.  I would hazard a guess you have a 186GB NTFS partition and the rest of the disk is formatted with a linux FS. You can also check your partition file systems using GParted on the Mint disk. You need to select your device in the upper right dropdown box. For your D: disk it will probably be sdb.

I am not sure what you mean by installing the boot files on the drive itself instead of one of the partitions. You can still boot Windows 10, correct?

#3 blatini609

blatini609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

Yeah I think what you're explaining is the issue. I just am not sure how to tell the Linux partition to bleep off so I can redo everything.

This is my first time setting up dual boot. Just got my CCNA and figured getting to be more familiar with Linux was a good idea, but clearly messed something up in the process. The steps I took all were on the 2TB D:\ drive:

Shrunk the volume so there was 100+GB of unused space

Launched linux mint install from the CD.

Clicked through to where I chose the "Something else" option for installing Linux

Installed 20GB to a root, primary partition

Installed the rest to a \home primary partition

After installing it seemed to work fine. Then I rebooted this morning, selected to launch Windows and the D:\ drive was missing. I hooked that up to a toaster, reformatted and received an error saying it could not complete the format. I messed around with PatitionGuru and EaseUS and got it to where the majority of the 2TB shows, but not all. I figured the two partitions I had created before to install Linux would still be there. Booted from the Linux install disk and it only showed the drive having one partition, but it had the full 2TB. And that's where I decided to come to the forums.

Sorry if that was long winded, but I hope it clarifies your question.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

Can you post a screenshot of Gparted showing the partition structure on the D: disk? I am pretty sure Mint has Gparted as part of the live DVD install disk.

Edit: Was there any reason you wanted the 186GB NTFS partition on Drive D:?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

Redacted.

Will wait for response to John's post above.

Edited by Al1000, 18 December 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#6 blatini609

blatini609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

So the numbers are backwards, I wanted 1.85 TB on my D:\ drive remaining for Windows with the rest to mess around with Linux.

I should mention that when I select to boot to Linux mint it just takes me a to a grub command line and won't boot to the desktop. The only way I can get there to see the drive is if I try to install it.

I'll download Gparted and get that for you after I get some food. Thanks for your time.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

No need to download GParted; it's on the Mint DVD. :)

#8 blatini609

blatini609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Here's the screen shot. Thanks again.

Attached Files

Edited by blatini609, 18 December 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

Everything looks normal to me. The 2TB disk is listed as all unallocated. Grub must have been installed on your C: drive. I am not a linux expert so I will defer to A1000. 

As a side note a 2TB drive will appear as less than 2TB in Windows. 

Windows is binary

• Kilobyte (KB) = 1,024 Bytes
  • MegaByte (MB) = 1,024 Kilobytes or 1,048,576 Bytes
  • Gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 Megabytes or 1,073,741,824 Bytes
  • Terabyte (TB) = 1,024 Gigabytes or 1,099,511,627,776 Bytes

1,000,000,000,000/1,099,511,627,776 = .9095

2TB x .9095 = 1.82TB     The capacity shown on your right image.

Edit: If your computer is UEFI and If you preformat your second disk with Gparted make sure you are create a GPT partition table.

figure002.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

How did you install Linux next to Windows 10? Did you install it in UEFI mode?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 blatini609

blatini609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

No, I installed windows in UEFI mode I believe so I received a warning while doing it. Wasn't really sure what the difference would be so I went ahead and did it regularly

I clicked the "Something else" option and took the 150 partition and set aside 20GB for root, and the rest for \home

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

As there's nothing on your 2TB drive, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from creating another partition. First thing to do is in GParted, right-click on the unallocated space, then select the option to create a partition table. It should all be straightforward from there, but please ask if you come across anything you are unsure about.

To address some other points:

I goofed up and installed the boot files to the drive itself instead of one of the two partitions I created.

The default place for Grub bootloader to be installed is the MBR of the first drive, which would be /dev/sda as in your screenshot.

Then I rebooted this morning, selected to launch Windows and the D:\ drive was missing.

Windows cannot read or otherwise access Linux partitions. It will see that they are there, but won't know what they are, so will just recognise them as "unknown partitions." Is that what you mean by the "D: drive was missing"? If not, can you please clarify?

I should mention that when I select to boot to Linux mint it just takes me a to a grub command line and won't boot to the desktop.

That would be expected if you installed Grub to /dev/sda, then deleted the Linux partition(s) on /dev/sdb. The bootloader files are there, but there's nothing for them to boot.

EDIT: I am not familiar with UEFI or Windows 10, but Nick will be able to help with that. :)

Edited by Al1000, 18 December 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#13 blatini609

blatini609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

"As there's nothing on your 2TB drive, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from creating another partition. First thing to do is in GParted, right-click on the unallocated space, then select the option to create a partition table. It should all be straightforward from there, but please ask if you come across anything you are unsure about."

Yeah I can create another partition, but I remember the drive being larger before I began this Linux adventure despite knowing the math JohnC posted is generally accurate. 

"Windows cannot read or otherwise access Linux partitions. It will see that they are there, but won't know what they are, so will just recognise them as "unknown partitions." Is that what you mean by the "D: drive was missing"? If not, can you please clarify?"

No. When I launched Windows the entire D:\ partition was missing. The only drive there was my SSD which is C:\.

"That would be expected if you installed Grub to /dev/sda, then deleted the Linux partition(s) on /dev/sdb. The bootloader files are there, but there's nothing for them to boot."

I installed it to /dev/sdb because I didn't want it to screw up something with Windows and that was the drive the Linux partitions were on.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

"Windows cannot read or otherwise access Linux partitions.

That is correct.

How To Install Linux Mint 18 Alongside Windows 10 (UEFI)

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 blatini609

blatini609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

So everything with my hard drive is normal given what happened and I should boot from a USB drive like in that guide? Which is the better method - installing alongside windows 10 or choosing something else?

Edited by blatini609, 18 December 2016 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users