Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring data from my iPhone 5c to my new iPhone 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Khirrkee

Khirrkee

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

My family recently gifted me an iPhone 7.

I still have my old iPhone 5c.

I wanted to transfer data from my iPhone 5c to my new iPhone 7, but have run into a snag.

I backed up my 5c to iTunes.

My iTunes password is encrypted and I've forgotten what it is.

So when I then tried to retrieve my 5c data through iTunes I was unable to.

In the meantime, I've set up and am using my iPhone 7, have taken lots of pictures, downloaded apps, etc.

If I were to now use iCloud to transfer from 5c to 7, from what I understand, I would back up my 5c to iCloud, then restore that data to my 7.

The problem is that since I would have to reset my 7, I would lose all the data on my 7.

How do I solve this problem?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

The problem is that since I would have to reset my 7, I would lose all the data on my 7.

How do I solve this problem?

There is no easy way that I can think to get around it.

Your only real option is to try to save any "unique" data (i.e. new pictures, files, etc) outside of the normal backup methods and then re-import them in once your restore the 5c backup. You can always re-download non-unique things such as iTunes Store content (i.e. apps, music, movies, TV shows, email messages on IMAP based email systems or Gmail, etc). For photos, one option would be to try iCloud Photo Library (you might have to pay for more iCloud storage if you have more than 5 GB of photos...of course, you might be in the situation anyway in order to do the backups).

Or just punt on restoring from the 5c backup and setup the iPhone 7 manually (install apps, re-arrange apps, etc) to be like the 5c (which sounds like you are part way there) and also transfer over any "unique" data (i.e. photos, etc).

#3 Khirrkee

Khirrkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, I was able to do the transfer.

Edited by Al1000, 24 May 2017 - 08:17 AM.
removed reference to banned spammer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users