Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth drivers can't install in win 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hi,
My first post here so apols if I get anything wrong!
Basically, I want to start using Bluetooth devices with my laptop (it looks like it is all enabled for Bluetooth).
Problem is, the PC finds the Bluetooth device no problem - I tried a couple of devices - but then it fails to find/install drivers for it.
This is really annoying.
I tried a few suggestions from internet, I including installing Windows Mobile-Based Centre but nothing worked!
Please please call someone help?
My laptop is a bit old but is usually very reliable if slow.
It's HP Compaq 6910p, running Win 7 professional (genuine) with Sp1, 32 Bit.
Intel centrino duo, 5gb of disk space free.
Thanks loads in advance.
Wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

I don't have much experience with bluetooth but did you pair the device after your computer detected it?

This was the latest driver for the PC but you posted that the PC has no trouble detecting the bluetooth device so I doubt installing the drive would help.

I looked at the specs for the computer and it has bluetooth 2.0, an early version. If the device you are trying to connect is a Low Energy device it will not pair with bluetooth 2.0, only 4.0 but for the most part bluetooth 4 is backward compatible with bluetooth 2.

http://superuser.com/questions/588186/is-bluetooth-4-0-backwards-compatible-with-bluetooth-2-0edr

You may want to look at getting a generic dongle and see if it connects to your devices. You would need to disable your PC's bluetooth. The link I provided is just an example you may be able to find one locally.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#3 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for such a prompt & comprehensive reply John.
I don't know if the devices paired - they were certainly recognised with correct details, but as the drivers failed to be found or be installed, there were no further available options.
The HP software looks promising, I will certainly give it a go.
Failing that I'll get a dongle & try that.
I will report back in case it may be of use/interest to other members.
Thanks again,
Wayne.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

Are these the steps you used to try and install the drivers? After selecting the detected device and clicking next did nothing? If so then I would try installing the HP bluetooth software as you posted.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/pair-a-bluetooth-device-with-windows-7/

#5 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

Yes, pretty much as that. I didn't use the wizard thingy, just found the Bluetooth icon in system tray, clicked on Show Bluetooth Devices (or previously, 'Add a Device' to add it in the first instance) but it had the yellow exclamation mark and troubleshooting said it had no driver, so followed steps to install driver, but it couldn't find any.

Will try the HP driver in a mo.

Thanks again,

Wayne

#6 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yaaay! Success! 😀 All working super fab now. Thank you &, may I say, well done! Good fix.
Thanks and best wishes,
Wayne.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Your Welcome, glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users