Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the lowest level in which I can format my flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 09009494

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

I can't format my USB flash drive, on windows it says "the disk is write protected".
I tried everything (partition magic, CMD commands, terminal commands, GParted, deleting the files without format, deleting its partition) nothing works.
However the data on it is perfectly fine and readable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

So don't use windows to format.......

#3 09009494

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

So don't use windows to format.......

yo I said "I tried everything (partition magic, CMD commands, terminal commands, GParted, deleting the files without format, deleting its partition) nothing works"

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

Shadow_647 is right in a way. You need, I think, to use the 'dd' command (also known as 'disk destroyer', if not used carefully!) in a Linux terminal in order to completely get rid of the 'write-protection'. There are also several other low-level Linux utilities (mostly command-line, therefore operated via the Linux 'terminal'), which can help with this; it's not as uncommon as you might imagine.

What most often occurs is that the drive, over time, accumulates a large number of bad sectors.....and the drive controller chip drops into *programming/diagnostic* mode in an attempt to protect itself, and exert some sort of 'damage control' over the situation.

The most relevant article I've been able to find on this whole business can be found here:-

http://askubuntu.com/questions/101637/usb-turn-write-protection-off

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on, please. 

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

This can occur if the flash drive has a fake capacity in firmware and you try writing past it's normal capacity. Also some branded flash drives such as the Sandisk will change to write protected if a fault is detected. Nothing will format the drive.

There is a thread about this on BC on this problem. I will post the link when I find it.

Here is the post by animal Platypus. Time to go back to sleep.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2016 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users