Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Android phone may be infected with a virus. How do I check?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arc14716

arc14716

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:41 AM

I was on my Android phone earlier tonight checking on the flight staus of a plane through the Flighview app I have installed on my cellphone.  I must have accidentally hit a pop up ad on the app because a screen came up saying that my phone had been infected and that my privacy was at stake.  It said that my Droid UItra Maxx phone had been infected and it said that I was in the Aiea area.  Problem is that I was in a different area than what that pop up was saying.  There was also a link at the bottom of the pop up to some website or app.   I backed out of the app without choosing the link, but to be on the safe side, I ran a virus scan on my cellphone which turned up nothing.

Anyway, I want to play it safe and get another opinion, which is why I'm here. 

So, the cellphone is from Verizon Wireless.  It's a Motorla Droid MAXX phone.  It's running Android version 4.4.4, with Android security patch level 2016-04-01.  The antivirus scanner is from the Verizon Support and Protection app which was downloaded from the Google Play store.  I think it's powered by McAfee and Asurion since they're names and logos are at the bottom of the title screen for the app.

My cellphone has been running fine all this time.  I'm not aware of any suspicious behavior on the part of the phone.  All the apps I've downloaded came from the Google Play store and are legitimate. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

I recommend you to run a scan with ESET Mobile Security or with Avast (but go with ESET first). I am using ESET for many years.Run a scan and see what it says. I recommend you to use Firefox or Opera, because both of them have ability to have add-ons so you can install Adblock in Firefox or Opera. Google Chrome doesn't have that function.

Edited by HrcaA3000, 18 December 2016 - 04:58 PM.

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

#3 arc14716

arc14716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

Installed and just finished running a scan with ESET.  No threats found.

Should I get Avast or am I good to go with just ESET? 

So, that notification screen that I saw was just an ad?  It looked like a real notification.  I've seen them come up in the past.  Clicking on the link probably would have taken me to a site infected with a virus or would have attempted to sell me a service I didn't need.

#4 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

Did you run "deep" virus scan or just "quick" virus scan?You should run "deep" virus scan (you can set it to "deep" in "scan level")

I recommend you to uninstall ESET (I told you to install it just to make sure that thre is no virus), because it's not free (you must buy licence to get all functions of ESET).So if you don't want to pay you can stay on free version of ESET or you can install Avast which is completly free.I recommend you to install Avast and deinstall ESET.Also install CCleaner to remove junk from your mobile phone.

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

#5 arc14716

arc14716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:06 AM

Reran ESET with deep virus scan.  No threats were found.  I deleted ESET as suggested and downloaded Avast.  I then scanned the phone with Avast and no threats were found.

Is there a deep scan option for Avast.  It says smart scan and I can't seem to find a deep scan option.

#6 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

If the scanners didn't work then you should reset you phone after saving your important data it will clean all your malwares and background process.

Reran ESET with deep virus scan.  No threats were found.  I deleted ESET as suggested and downloaded Avast.  I then scanned the phone with Avast and no threats were found.

Is there a deep scan option for Avast.  It says smart scan and I can't seem to find a deep scan option.

#7 Nzyme

Nzyme

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

It's probably an ad that you had clicked on. Clear the cache of the browser that you were using and try using FF going forward and not Chrome. Also install an app called Adguard and have it running always with the latest filters. Did you try doing a scan with Bitdefender/Sophos. From what you mention, I don't think a virus would have installed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users