Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi-drive/bay external hdd so expensive??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:12 AM

I have about 10 external hard drives just sitting around.  Whenever I need to see what's in them (because I often forget

even when labelled), it's such a hassle to turn off the computer, unplug the sata cables to free it up and plug in 2 external

drives (because I can only plug in an additional 2 drives apart from the main drive in the computer), then turn on the computer

and wait for everything to load, then turn it off again, unplug the drives, connect 2 new drives, turn on computer, wait for it to load,

and I have to keep doing this for all 10 drives.

Why don't they have an external drive bay that can hold 4-8 or even 10 drives and then whenever I need to access them, I can just turn on one switch and access whichever of the 10 drives I want to access?

I don't want them to be in RAID or anything.  All the multi drive bays I've seen for sale are like $300 for a 4 bay drive but I think it's that expensive because it does RAID function.

I've seen dual bay hdd that sit vertically and you just drop hard drives in and out, but those are really cheap and doesn't seem to work well after a short time.

The only solution I have come up with for all my external hard drives is to simply buy an external enclosure for EACH hard drive.  Then all I have to do is plug in the usb cable when I want to access whichever drive.  No disconnecting cables, screws, bolts, and shutting off PC/reloading and waiting.  The cheapest external hard drive enclosures I can find are about $20 each so that would still cost me $100 for 5 cases or $200 for 10 cases (one external enclosure for each hard drive).

I was just wondering why they couldn't just make a 5 bay, 8 bay hard drive enclosure all in one and a much cheaper price?  After all, they are just some metal framework and sata cables to connect via usb to desktop right?  Why $300-$500 for 4 bay drives?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

Beats me this is $17

My self id just do that, no opening up cases, just have to power down when changing drives.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817999024

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

Or something like the Winstars Communcator ?  Takes both 2.5 and 3.5" drives, just pop them in the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/winstars-communicator-docking-station-Reader/dp/B0044TO6KS

Chris Cosgrove

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

thanks, I tried docking stations before (2 bay) and it didn't last long...maybe 1-2 years. Maybe it was a cheap one?  I also dont like the idea of just dropping hard drives in and out like nintendo game cartridges.  I'd much rather have it stationary, locked up and always ready to go at anytime without swapping it all the time (precious data and hard drives are pretty fragile).

I just went with 4 individual external enclosures and I'll keep the hdd in each of them.  Then I just have to plug in the usb cable whenever I need to access it.  Far easier than turning off pc, unplugging all sata cables and plugging them in, turning on pc, waiting to load, repeat x100 etc.

Actually, I was surprised to find some 4 bay multi drives now for $100 or less thanks to some recommendations.  I wonder why the ones I've seen were always $300 for 4 bay enclosures?  Maybe those were specifically for RAID setup only?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

Far easier than turning off pc, unplugging all sata cables and plugging them in, turning on pc, waiting to load, repeat x100 etc.

Plus, internal SATA connectors are only rated to be reliable for 50 plug/unplug cycles.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:37 AM

Well you could do a ghetto mod hdd file server computer too, just get a really monster size case and some old Pc hardware and pack the thing full of hdd to the tits

how about the Li PC-V2000 series? It has 10 HDD racks plus seven 5.25" bays meaning you could get 16 hdds in their and one DVD drive.

pcv-int1_small.jpg

Edit: typo fix

Edited by shadow_647, 19 December 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

I have a couple of Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5” SATA HDD Enclosures.  It works well enough.  You just put in drives you want to access.  Not all of the bays need to be filled.  It treats the drives as if they were individually connected by a SATA to USB adapter.

I ended up getting a Drobo 5N to put the drives back into use as I'm constantly updating drives.  The problem is that the drives get wiped when they going into the Drobo, so you have to backup the data first.  I may get a second Drobo some time in the future as I still have at least a half dozen drives or better laying around still.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

One thing i forgot to say is sadly when doing the file server computer stile is its not like doing offline backups, meaning backup files and forget drives that are never networked,

If everything all interconnected HHD wise and you get hit with a really nasty virus or cyber weapon your data is cooked.

Like the 16 HDD file server idea, i do something nuts to protect the data on that box, if you had all 2TB drives on it that would mean 32TB if 8TB drives then 128TB of data, that's a lot to back up, lot to lose if something gos wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users