Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back-up Software: Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gizzard

gizzard

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hello all.

Is a back-up software necessary when backing up your computer?

I was led to believe that backing up is a as simple as dragging and dropping onto a back-up source.

Is there another step I am missing in the process?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:38 AM

If content in knowing that your valuable files are safe/secure in a separate location, that might be enough for some folks.

Some folks are disciplined enough to drag and drop files they deem important; others might not worry about it at all until hit with ransomware.

You can also back up your entire drive, and restore it to another in case of drive/OS crash with only loss of data since the last complete drive image was done; if your important files are backed up in the cloud, this should leave you in a relatively painfree place, if not a happy place. (I've used Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, Clonezilla, True Image, etc., to easily backup the entire hard drive's structure, including multiboot partitioned drives)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hello all.

I was led to believe that backing up is a as simple as dragging and dropping onto a back-up source.

At it core, a backup is just having a duplicate of a file, preferably stored on another drive. That can be accomplished in any number of ways.

Obviously the most basic way is to just "manually" copy important* file from one drive to another using drag and drop.

* note that "important" is really something that an individual user decides, but I personally tend to label any file that cannot be otherwise reproduced without a backup...i.e. so-called "user files". If one has the install media for Windows, all applications, and all drivers, then those can be "reproduced" by re-installing them. User created files (i.e. pictures, Word docs, etc) cannot unless backed up somewhere.

In today's world, however, most people tend to have too many files that might be stored in various places on the drive to make just doing a manual copy the easiest way. In other words, it might be too cumbersome for most, so they use backup software (assuming that they backup at all).

Plus, there is then the issue easing & speeding up recovery time if you have a problem with say a drive. With a whole system backup, you can generally be back up and running much quicker than if you were to just re-install the OS and apps and drivers.

So, the point is that, yes, a drag and drop copy of what files you deem important is a backup of your files.

#4 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for your replies. It was really helpful. I don't have many files so I'll go the manual route. When I do get more files, I'll go the whole system back up route for a faster recovery time.

Happy new years

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

My three computers have an OS partition and a data partition on one physical internal hard-drive, respectively.  Each computer has two pancake platter-driven external usb ex1TB HDs.  Weekly - bi-monthly, Macrium Reflect or Image for Windows is used to make a full image each of the OS and data partitions, onto both dedicated ext HDs.  While I've had to restore folders and files back onto a data partition from time to time, I have had to restore an OS partition a few times.  In short, one can restore what one has backed up, or, one can rebuild one's OS and all 3rd party programs from scratch.  You decide  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Wow. I have to read this a few times to digest what you just said. :D

I think I'll be going with the external hard drive route. My Google drive only allows 13 Gb

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

Well, I was being super-brief, later on, if you're wanting to include such backups, we can stretch out the info above   :)

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

Yeah. If it's faster/more effective. Sure.  :thumbup2:

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:10 AM

Faster, no.  More complex, yes.  Reliable, probably.  The above idea, which I got from others, has served me well since Windows 3.1 - Windows for Workgroups 3.11 - Windows 95/98SE - Windows 7    :thumbup2:

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#10 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

I meant faster to copy over data. I manually uploaded to my drive and it took over half a day to upload (15gbs worth of data) over my wi-fi connection.

Making images seems way more awesome because I can just copy and paste my computers file structure without having too look for specific files I want to copy over and have to organize it manually (my current method).

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

There are many very good products, free and pay-for, you can use to make full images of your partitions onto external media -- Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, just to name two of the many.  Others here can recommend several products.  Your next step is to install and try out a couple, find the "look and feel" you're most comfortable with; make a few backups, restore a folder or two, eventually stick with one or two of your top choices.

#12 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

Thank you Roland!

Will these programs back-up non-data like my browser's book marks and settings as well?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:27 AM

Absolutely!   :)

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#14 hutchijw

hutchijw

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

Hello all.

Not only will you save your files, but also downtime.  I'd much rather spend my time doing something other than reloading my entire PC.  I use Veeam Endpoint backup.  It was free to download.  Check out their site for the details and save yourself the headache (and time).

#15 DellaVedova

DellaVedova

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:10 AM

Hello all.

Firstly, it is very important to backup your computer,i mean your important files pictures because when using computer, it is easy to lose important data, which is very annoying(from my own real experience). Backing up without a software is just dragging and dropping onto a backup source and it is inefficient.

However, using a software like easeus todo back software(used by myself for several years) to backup your computer is much more complicated. It can automatically backup everything, including files, systems, disks, partitions or emails, and it can create images backup which can use little space to backup huge files. But for users like us it is very easy and convenient to use.

And there are also other good backup software, and i really suggest you that use a software to backup your computer is necessary. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users