Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with power and battery on Lenovo G50-70, laptop unusable

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bobondacob

Bobondacob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

So, I seem to have an interesting issue with my laptop.

When I plug it in with the battery in, a red blinking status light appears on the battery notification LED.

and doesn't turn on
When the battery isn't plugged in, it doesn't show the light and also doesn't turn on
The battery without the charger has no light and doesn't turn on either.
I can't find any documentation that says anything about that light,
but would I be correct to assume this is an issue with the charger?
Any help or input would be fabulous.

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2016 - 07:43 PM.
Moved from External to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

Take it to a used computer parts store, maybe they will let you use a power brick just to test, laptop could just be dead too.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

There are two things that immediately come to mind here.  1, the battery is on its last legs and won't take a charge, 2, the power adapter is failing.

The blinking amber LED indicates a low battery and is charging.  Once it reaches 20% of its charge the LED will change its color to white.  Leave it plugged in along with the power adapter and see if it charges and changes color.

If you have a voltmeter or a friend does you can check the output voltage of the power adapter to see if it is producing the proper voltage.  This power adapter of yours should produce 20 Volts DC.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

Id do a amp test too if your going to do that, most multimeters can do up to 10A

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

Id do a amp test too if your going to do that, most multimeters can do up to 10A

Except for specialized multimeters most of these will only read about 200 microamps to 200 milliamps.  That dog ain't gonna hunt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Got mine for like $40 and it douse 10A, i know the cheap ones can't do mouch though like you pointed out.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

Getting a reading which will actually show that the power adapter actually is capable of handling the 4+ amps required is not as simple as reading the voltage.  More importantly... all we need is to know if the adapter is producing the 20V DC voltage so we will know if this is the problem or not.

The only time I use a Amp meter is when I'm checking the draw of a electrical circuit or setting up the belt tension on an electric motor.  Anything other than that I would do on a bench.

Just curious here.  Is English your primary language?

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

Yes It is and as long as the grammer police don't come after me im good.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Your grammar isn't the big problem, but you could benefit by the use of spell-check. :whistle:

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

Don't hang around, haxor IRC channels & forums then if you have problem reading my posts, chances are you won't understand what anyone is saying.

Edited by shadow_647, 20 December 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

You are taking this off topic.  I made a suggestion which would make it easier for other member to understand your posts.  Especially the large number of non-English speaking members who rely on translation software.

We are done here.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

The biggest fault I see on all laptops is the power adapter jack gets jammed and fails to charge or becomes intermittent.  The jacks mounted to the mainboard inside the laptop is very probe to getting jammed, yanked and even dropped on that connection.  Serious damage to the board can result but sometimes it's just the plastic connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users