Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery thermal paste that I need help finding for my laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 adonismartinez

adonismartinez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hello fellas.I need some help finding a thermal paste that kept my Dell Latitude e6420 i7 Quad Core temps in check. The situation happened after I had to replace my LCD cable so I had to basically take the whole thing apart. Once I put it all together and replaced the cable I noticed that the temps all of a sudden started going up crazy. 

Just going on Chrome makes my fan go crazy and my temps where going to an average of like 83C. This surprised me considering I put some Arctic Silver 5 which worked great for my Dell D830 but for my quad i7 e6420 it was trash. I then tried some Arctic Cooling MX4 and still the temps were too high but this time it was around an average of 77C which was still too hot. Then I tried Arctic Silver 5 with some copper shims and managed to get it down to an average of 75C.

When I took it apart I noticed the thermal paste previously applied was kinda thick and gummy while being extremely cold. It was grey in color and whatever it was kept my temps in at like 48C. My e6420 barely went crazy with its fan and slightly went up when I was watching youtube but nothing crazy. I'm guessing the reason it was gummy like is because it cured eventually but alot of these new thermal pastes never cure I think it must be so old school thermal paste or something.

Any ideas what brand of thermal paste this was? 

Help will be much appreciated, thank you =]

Edited by adonismartinez, 17 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

@adonismartinez

I Binged "select the right thermal paste" and found many articles related to your dilemma.

After reading a few I chose and recommend you reading in its entirety...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600.html

Hopefully this will offer some help in choosing the thermal paste to suit your needs

Old Rocker

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

THIS IS THE ONE

The second most important thing.....is the application. MOST important !.......more is NOT better.

Read the artic silver page

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Edited by Condobloke, 17 December 2016 - 08:41 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 adonismartinez

adonismartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:05 PM

Thank you very much for the input!

I will try to purchase Arctic Ceramique 2 to see if this can help me.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:40 AM

Beats me about the little tubes of costly stuff, last i checked the reviews theirs not mouch diffence from one stuff to the other, feu C at most from the worse to the best.

Iv got a big tube of the industral Silicone Grease thats the size of a big toothpaste tube, bin using it for years and it cost me nothing and works good. cheap too, think i payed back in the day like $10.

Here you go $14 for 30 grams.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/t-global-technology/S606B-30/1168-1380-ND/3042209

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:04 AM

To be honest, I have never found any difference in what grease I used as long as it was from a reputable company. I have used Ceramique for years with good results-it's a bit thicker than others. But I really have not had major differences in performance with different varieties.  I suspect that something is amiss with the application; as Condobloke said above, this grease is designed to be used in very light applications, not heavy. Just enough to skim the surface of the CPU, not overcoat it thickly. I use a safety razor to apply it. Don't forget to thoroughly clean the CPU and heatsink of the old grease before applying new.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

I was under the impression most OEMs used a thermal pad or TIM which is a tape. If that is the case with your Dell is it possible some of the tape was not removed which would cause your temps to rise even with using Artic Silver? Maybe I am all wrong on this but just wanted to throw it out there.

Here is a good thread on Thermal Pads though it is somewhat old.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

In my elderly Compaq Presario desktop, running an AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+, I use CoolerMaster's 'E1 IC Essential Thermal Compound'. 

Notice that CPU temp indicator in 'Puppy' Linux Tahrpup64.....

pHB4pPM.png

That's a normal temperature for the old girl, and tends to dispel the myth that AMDs run hotter than Intels.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 19 December 2016 - 07:01 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:47 AM

For what its worth hears my temps.

Core 2 dual woulfdale 2500@4000mgz max vcore recommended for my core by Intel at idle with white goop compound and a full sized water cooling setup ~ external rad on like 2' of pipeing, got a ghetto mod fan setup too on my chip set cooler.

temp.jpg

#10 adonismartinez

adonismartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Thank you all for your input it is very much appreciated! I was under the impression just as some of you said that most thermal grease or compound wasnt too different in terms of how much cooler you could cool down your cpu so I am a bit surprised at how my cpu was going of the rails. I was looking at the Arctic Silver 5 website and I noticed that it said for 2nd generation i7 laptop/mobile cpu's you should do the surface spread method. When I applied both the Arctic Silver 5 and the Arctic Cooling MX4 I did the horizontal line method so maybe just maybe that was the issue however the thermal compound previously was not the surface spread method. There was plenty of that thermal compound around but it worked so I dont know lol. Going to try it one more time with the surface spread method maybe that will do it.

Edited by adonismartinez, 19 December 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

You are cleaning off the old thermal paste first, correct?

#12 adonismartinez

adonismartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

Yeah I am cleaning off the old ther for sure.

#13 adonismartinez

adonismartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hope all of you guys had a great Xmas! Well just tried to the spread method with my CPU and still this thing is going like to even 91C just playing a youtube video thats at 1080 resolution!

I used a coffee filter to clean the cpu with 91% isopropyl  alcohol and still this cpu is going crazy. Just being idle with no apps running this thing is at like 78c!

My last resort is to try the ceramic type of thermal compound and maybe that will do it.

I seriously doubt I messed up my cpu or something or maybe I did but I doubt it.

Whatever that thermal compound was, was working. I wish I knew what specific brand it was. It was light grey, felt extremly cold, and felt gummy like it cured into some rubber cement.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:53 PM

I would suspect that either something is preventing the surfaces from lining up correctly to get good thermal contact, or a heatpipe has lost its refrigerant and isn't passing the CPU heat to the exchanger fins.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

Check that the heatsink fins aren't bent, that none of the heat pipes were punctured, and that the heatsink is on good.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users