Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP AIO Won't Boot, Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hello!

My friend brought me a HP Envy 23-d027c with Win7 x64 that doesn't boot. They said they were trying to update it, and based on what they described, it looks like they cut power during a BIOS flash. When the power button is pressed, the power LED turns on and the fans spin, but nothing else. No beep codes, nothing on the screen. The machine is about 3 years out of warranty.

I have tried reseating the HDD and RAM. Win+B to do a HP BIOS reset doesn't work, the screen never comes on even after a minute of holding those buttons. I can't connect an external display because there aren't any display ports. At this point, I'm stuck. I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard, but that might be the next step.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

-HaltAndCatchFire

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

Just to confirm you did the steps as shown in this video.

#3 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

Just to confirm you did the steps as shown in this video.

Yes, that is what I did.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

First try doing a powercycle. Remove your Power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power and try booting. If you have access to the CMOS battery I would remove that first and then do the powercycle. Then attach the CMOS battery and boot.

I extracted the BIOS files for this Envy and it looks like the HP flash is only available for Windows. Some HP BIO's allow you to create a flash drive that is attached to the computer. Booting the computer reflashes the BIOS but this is not the case with the BIOS for your envy. There are BIOS flash tools for the AMI Aptio that allow one to flash in DOS but I can't say this would work on an all in one. 

This is using DOS and you have the newer UEFI instead of a legacy BIOS. I do not know what will happen using the DOS version of the AMI flash program and if this bricks the computer I take no responsibility. Read the PDF in the AFUDOS.zip file.

Extract the BIOS SP file using WinRar or 7 zip to get your ROM file. Use the ROM file with Rufus which makes a bootable flash drive using FreeDos. Select FreeDos in the dropdown box that lists iso image.  Copy the ROM (LA3_816.ROM) from the extracted BIOS file to the root of your flash drive after using Rufus. Copy the extracted AMI Aptio AFUDos flash files to the flash drive. Boot the Flash drive. You may need to change drive letters and then using the DIR dos command to see if your ROM file and the AMI flash files are listed. Use the command in the below AFUDOS.exe link to flash the BIOS.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-23-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/5295879/model/5296825

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-AMI-Bios-flash-tool-AFUDOS-EXE

https://www.bios-mods.com/downloads/   Look for AFU for Aptio v2.28

If you need any help with the DOS commands after booting the flash drive with freeDOS post them but I would highly recommend you contact HP support before attempting this flash.

A youtuber was able to fix a corrupted BIOS on an Envy 23 using a USB programmer but I don't have any experiences with using one of these programmers. There are numerous articles and videos on the internet regarding their use.

#5 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

I am a little confused...

The computer cannot boot. Even to a flash drive. It doesn't POST, the screen is black.

If I make the freeDOS drive with rufus and plug it in and turn on the power, nothing will appear on the screen.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

I was hoping the Flash drive would be detected if the Power LED lights and the fan spins but if the computer does not post then you are right, the flash drive will not be detected. As I posted previously some HPs will detect a flash drive at boot for recovery of a corrupted BIOS. Maybe there is a chance the Envy will detect the ROM file on the root of the flash drive during power on. 

Did you try powercycling the computer? 

#7 haltandcatchfire

haltandcatchfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

I will definitely throw the files on a USB and try it, but I won't be at work until Monday and that's where the computer is.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

Good Luck. I did more searching on this particular BIOS (AMI Aptio) and I didn't get very much. There was a post saying to hold the Ctrl + Home keys while booting but I can't say that will work.

Edit: If you have some decent soldering skills you can order a new BIOS chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-Chip-hp-ENVY-23-Touchsmart-ALL-IN-ONE-series-desktop-/380457773628

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 December 2016 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users