Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Condition

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

A friend of mine has a Toshiba laptop (Win 7) that received possible viruses when his son was surfing the net playing games and it froze up on him. He used the process with this link http://www.thundercl...-factory-state/  to try and fix the problem, but now there is just a blank laptop with no response. He has no disk. Is there a way to bring this back by hitting any keys? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

I doubt there would be any keys you can press. Are you saying that when you press the power button the computer does not boot up? If yes, then try powercycling the computer. Pull the power adapter and main battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord do not install the main battery. Try booting. If the computer powers on then try tapping 0 at boot to start the recovery again.

Edit: Doing a factory reset would cause all personal data and programs installed since purchase to be wiped.

Download and run this utility to download an iso of your Windows 7 version. Your AV may flag the program but it is a false positive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 December 2016 - 03:35 PM.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

He just told me it says Boot Manager not installed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

You can try doing a Startup Repair with the Windows 7 install disk. You will need to burn the iso file you downloaded using the Windows iso downloader. It can take up to three attempts in order for the repair to complete or try doing the factory reset again by tapping 0 at boot. 

#5 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

I have the lap top and what I get when I power up is BOOTMGR is missing.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

I have the lap top and what I get when I power up is BOOTMGR is missing.

You get this error after tapping 0 at boot? 

#7 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

when I tap the 0 I get a loud beeping

Screen reads

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

When I do this nothing happens       Can I put something on a flash drive through my computer and then install it to the lap top to fix issue?

Edited by ocean77, 20 December 2016 - 09:21 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

I would download the Windows 7 iso using the tool I linked to in Post#2. Be sure to select the correct version as what is on the computer, Home or Pro. Use Rufus with the downloaded iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Boot the flash drive. Click Repair computer as shown in this guide and then command prompt. Type the following commands. 

diskpart

list disk         is there an "*" asterisk under the GPT heading for your disk?

list volume    post the output.

You can also do Startup Repair. It will take up to three attempts to do a repair. If not then we can try using manual commands.

Is there a legible key on the bottom of the laptop on the COA sticker?

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Windows 7 iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

#9 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

Do I need a blank flash drive? 

Edited by ocean77, 20 December 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

Remove the number from your post and do not provide the key. The key would be the alpha numeric key under Product Key. If that is legible do not post it. Just confirm if you can read the full key. Yes, you need a blank USB flash drive or backup the data on the flash drive to a hard drive. 

windows-7-product-key.jpg

#11 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

Yes I can read it. I do not have a clean flash drive, but I do have some CD-R blank disks, would that work?

Edited by ocean77, 20 December 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

CD's will not work. You would need a DVD because the iso is over 3GBs then you would need to burn the iso to disk, not just copy the iso to the DVD. You can do it on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting "Burn Disk Image".

Edit: Toshiba also offers recovery media but I do not know how much they charge. Input the serial number in the box. The serial number would be either on the bottom or in the battery compartment.

https://support.toshiba.com/repair

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 December 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#13 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

I was just talking with my friend that owns this lap top and he says he has another Toshiba with Win 7. He wants to know if he can create a DVD with that Toshiba for this one?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:17 AM

If the models are identical and they both had the same version of Windows 7 it is worth a try. If the models are not identical they would be issues with drivers that are part of the recovery set.

Another Option. If your friend has access to DVDs then he can burn an iso using the utility in my post #2 and the key from the bottom of the computer to activate. You would have to use phone activation. The Windows iso downloader may be flagged by his AV but that is a false positive.

#15 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

I was able to get a little further. I tried hitting F2 and I was able to get to Setup Utility Screen. Is there anything I can do to fix from here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users