Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this an indicator that my CPU is fried?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marvin5881

marvin5881

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

I have an old Dell Dimension 4400 from 2002 and it has a Pentium 4 1.6 GHZ in it, my mom used it for a couple of months with frequent freezing problems and crashes. After awhile the computer failed to boot and the power button just shows an amber light. After this the computer was stored away. 14 years later, i decide to go take a look at it and it turns out the CPU had absolutely no thermal paste on it to begin with (so i suspect it might have fried). I take off the heatsink to and feel the CPU to see if it heats up and it's stone cold. although other components connected to the motherboard are heating up just fine, the fans are spinning and so is the Hard Disk. when i take off the CPU and try booting, nothing happens at all, and when I put the CPU back in everything starts spinning up but the computer still doesn't boot. Considering the difference with the CPU in and the CPU out, does this mean that the CPU is still working? even though it's stone cold?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Pentium 4 shouldn't fry even without cooler. Classic video

Sounds like motherboard is the problem as CPU should heat up without heatsink.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Love the video. :)

One can obtain one of those CPUs from eBay for 3-5$ shipped. Probably even upgrade a bit. lol

I tend to agree with above post: Most likely other hardware fault.

Edit: Try replacing the CMOS battery.

Edited by bludgard, 20 December 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=diagnosing+hardware+problems&gbv=1&sei=vY9cWJmmMYzYjwSd3JSoDQ

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

Love the video. :)

One can obtain one of those CPUs from eBay for 3-5$ shipped. Probably even upgrade a bit. lol

I tend to agree with above post: Most likely other hardware fault.

Edit: Try replacing the CMOS battery.

Yeah!

Interesting vid. My old Athlon64 X2 dual-core, running Puppy Linux, usually potters along at around 22-30C (and that's with the stock K8 cooler). Kinda puts a dent in the theory that AMDs always run hotter than Intels.....

Go for a 2.6, or a 2.8. You won't go any higher. as it's almost certainly got the 400 FSB. Even though it'll be running about a Gig faster, you won't notice that much difference, unfortunately.....

They are as cheap as chips on eBay, though. It's where I picked up my 2.6 for an old Dell Inspiron 1100. UK£4.89p..... They're high-power, and low performance by today's standards. Nobody wants 'em, any more.

Still good enough to keep old hardware designed for them humming along though.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 December 2016 - 07:52 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users