Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash due to Chrome-IE conflict?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sjd

sjd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

I have been using google chrome on an HP Presario laptop( now running Win 10 after an upgrade from Win 7) for years without problems but suddenly have been getting random crashes. It is not a hardware problem since all the Diagnostic tests on F2 Passed. The crash does not seem to happen off line. Recently I got an unsolicited note from MS saying that they were going to set my default Browser as Internet Explorer (:echo:) which I do not want. I have tried to rest Chrome as the default in Control Panel but I am still having problems with random stoppages and crashes. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I solve it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

I reset Chrome by renaming the 'Default' folder to Default.old and restarting, which created a new Default folder.       Set it as the default browser in 'Settings'.

Haven't had any problems since. Previously the pages were forever freezing and had to be killed and reloaded.

Edited by petewills , 18 December 2016 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users