Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting work laptop to home WiFi network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bulletooth

bulletooth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi,
this is a dumb question from a not at all savvy computer guy, so my apologies...

I was given a work laptop which can simulate my office PC by simply logging onto home WiFi.
Although i keep my personal browsing and work browsing separate....would in any way shape or form my personal browsing habits become visible on work laptop once paired to my personal WiFi? ....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Could you give more detail on your setup? What "simulates your office PC"? Are you using a VPN? A remote desktop/Logmein? Roaming profile? If you don't know how it works, just try to describe the process or the name of the program within bounds of privacy. 

Also, are you asking if your work IT can see what webpages you are going to when using the laptop outside of work? Or are you concerned your work IT will be able to see traffic/activity from other computers on your home network?

#3 bulletooth

bulletooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

thanks for the reply...

It connects via standard microsoft sync using wifi.

Just inquiring on whether the workplace will then be able to see traffic/activity from other personal PCs/laptops once the work laptop establishes a connection to a personal network? ... I mean not doing anything illegal or anything, but still want to keep personal browsing personal, and business machine professional.....

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

I am not familiar with Microsoft Sync. This article gives some info, but Sync is too broad of a method to isolate if they can see your traffic or not. My guess is probably not. They might be able to see traffic coming from the work computer, but as long as you don't have a VPN client or server, traffic from other devices on the network should be unseen.

If privacy is a main concern, I would suggest asking your work's IT. Word it in such a way, such as family members playing games, so they don't get suspicious. Or you could use a VPN client like OpenVPN or LogMeIn Hamachi to secure the traffic, that way they can't see what it is even if they can see where it's coming and going from. See here for more info on free VPNs.

Edited by Trikein, 17 December 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Sync only syncs up files on the PC with files on other, paired devices. It is often used when companies use folder redirection for things like the Documents folder. Changes made to files when the PC is off the company network are synced up when the PC is back on the company network.

Your employer may be able to view your browsing history on that PC, and if folder redirection is enabled, any files/folders that are synced. They won't be able to see any traffic from other computes on your home network.

#6 steve87

steve87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

Of course it depends on whether you trust the company to do the right thing. Odds are that they are not doing anything nefarious but anytime you connect an outside device to your network it then has access to other computers on that network the same as it would have access to other computers/printers at work. Theoretically only open shares would be visible but a malicious employer could exploit vulnerabilities on your network to gain access to browsing history on other computers in the network for example.  This is highly unlikely and possibly illegal but is certainly doable.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

bulletooth, I'm reading this as you want to know if your work laptop connected to your home WiFi can know about other personal web traffic from other devices on the same network.  The technical answer is yes it could see other wireless traffic on the network.  However, this most likely should not be a worry as I doubt your work sniffs the network traffic for networks their computers connect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users