Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 3847 Upgrade or Buy New Computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jhipps

jhipps

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 running Windows 10 with the following specs:

Intel Pentium G3240

4GB RAM

This computer has become very laggy and the start up is terrible.

Our primary uses are: 

Basic web surfing

Remote access to wife's work computer (running dual monitors)

Kids do some light gaming (mainly Sims 3 & 4)

My questions is, should I upgrade this computer, or sell it for what I can get and buy a new one? Thanks for your help, upgrade options would be appreciated if that route is best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

How old is the computer now?

Edited by Planemaster2, 17 December 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#3 jhipps

jhipps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:18 AM

How old is the computer now?

I believe it is nearing 2 years old now

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

Sounds like HDD has problems. So I would first try replacement hard drive (or SSD).

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

Well...it seems to me that the smart thing to do...would be to try solve whatever startup and system slowness issues exist...in the forum for the appropriate Windows version.

I suppose if I had enough mony, I would just buy a new system when something unexpected occurs...I would never recommend such as a strategy for anyone to implement unless he/she is certain that a change will cure the problem.

I don't consider "routine maintenance situations" to be worthy of a new system.

If you suspect that your hard drive has problems...someone in the Win 10 forum can tell you how to check that.

Louis

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

@jhipps

I agree with hamluis and offer another suggestion

Before considering complete system replacement, I would do the following...

You can choose a Quick System Test 10 minutes +/- or a Full System Test 40 minutes +/-

Old Rocker

#7 sfzombie13

sfzombie13

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

if the computer is two years old, the hard drive should have smart technology which should tell you if there is a problem.  you can usually boot into the bios to access the smart tests.  also, if it is two years old, it probably came with windows 8.1 and not 10.  if it was upgraded to 10, then it is time for a reload of the os, and a clean install is your best bet.  you can get the iso from ms and do away with any bloatware which comes with the oem install.  even if it came with windows 10, it is still time to reload it, i usually recommend every two years to do a clean install.  it helps clean out things and start fresh.  it also gets rid of any malware you weren't aware of, like tracking cookies or other things, except the really nasty ones.  as i don't have a lot of experience with windows 10, i would also agree with hamluis when he suggests asking about the specifics in the windows 10 forum.  one thing i do know is that you can't use your windows 8.1 license key to activate 10, so be sure to pull the key before reloading anything.  you will also need a valid windows 10 key to download an iso from the ms site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users