Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade, what would help the most?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bl00g000

Bl00g000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

I am not great when it comes to pc parts so I hope someone can help me.

I'm interested in upgrading my system for gaming, but I am not sure what would help the most. If I could choose to only upgrade one thing, what would be the best thing to upgrade? and if multiple parts could be upgraded, what parts should be upgraded first.

My current rig specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology F2A88XM-HD3(P0)

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz

Processor: AMD A10-6800K APU 4.1 GHz

Graphics Card: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon r7 260x

Storage: 111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB SATA Disk

931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SATA Disk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

Well, your processor and motherboard are tied to each other (meaning if you want to upgrade one of them, you'll have to upgrade the other). Processor should be OK for now so it's fine.

Could you give me the exact model of RAM you're using?

Storage should be good as long as you have enough space in both the SSD and the HDD.

You could upgrade the GPU but the 260X is still pretty good but I don't know what sort of games you play so I can't make an accurate judgement as to whether an upgrade is needed. Please list the games you are playing/looking to play.

In my opinion, It's between the GPU and MOBO/CPU depending on your budget.

#3 Bl00g000

Bl00g000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

The RAM I am currently using is the Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAB http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1600c9d-8gab

Some of the games I play that give me performance issues are:

Overwatch

Dark souls 3

GTA V

Arma 3

All of these I experience some sort of performance issues in and when I play them I am forced to close almost every single user process in task manager or I will get lag with even low quality settings.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

How much are you willing to spend? What resolution do you play at?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Bl00g000

Bl00g000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

willing to spend probably around $400-$700NZD  which would be around $250-$500USD and I play at 1920x1080 when possible

#6 Bl00g000

Bl00g000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

After looking into it more and thinking about it, I've decided that ill probably end up upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 1070.

I still have a question or two though.

Considering the graphics card is really good, would it be worth it to still upgrade the CPU for gaming related use or should the Graphics card cover most of that. I think my current CPU might be decent enough though, but would appreciate any input.

Also another question, I will probably have a few extra bucks to spend after the 1070, so would upgrading to 16GB ram be of much use or should I just save the money?

Thanks for any help

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

After looking into it more and thinking about it, I've decided that ill probably end up upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 1070.

I still have a question or two though.

Considering the graphics card is really good, would it be worth it to still upgrade the CPU for gaming related use or should the Graphics card cover most of that. I think my current CPU might be decent enough though, but would appreciate any input.

Also another question, I will probably have a few extra bucks to spend after the 1070, so would upgrading to 16GB ram be of much use or should I just save the money?

Thanks for any help

I wouldn't recommend you get the 1070. It is way overkill for 1080p. My brother has an R7 260X and plays at 1080p at decent settings. I would wait for AMD zen chips to hit the market and upgrade your cpu/motherboard combination.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users