Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Difficulty Using a Pre-Configured Clonezilla Thumb Drive

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

I have a thumb drive loaded with clonezilla. My son set it up so that when the thumb drive was inserted and then used to boot from.....a screen would appear which would automatically select the source drive and then auto select the destination drive.....one click to confirm and proceed....and it would backup the entire drive (excluding movies) in approx 16 minutes.

My son and I have fallen foul of each other and the clonezilla thingie has "gone out" in sympathy !...it boots, reaches the screen...selects the source...but doesnt select the destination. It then backups to the source drive which is not the idea behind doing a backup !

I seem to remember words my son used like 'cron job'..???....I am not sure of that...at all....and am seriously hesitant to fiddle what i know stuff all about.   (as much as I would LOVE to have it set up again

(when it boots to the thumb drive....there are two options when selecting the thumb drive....the first selects the screen I have just described....the second brings up a yellowish screen((clonezillas)....which almost immediately tells me it has failed....or words to that effect....and then takes me back to the screen where i select again.)

I will take a pic of the two screens which present themselves as well as the boot screen choices as well.

I will pop them in the next post

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:57 AM

Meanwhile, we are looking here, specifically, for a Clonezilla solution for the OP, whereby he had in place, previously, a working application of same.

Other avenues the OP has explored briefly are fwbackups, and Mondo Rescue Recovery, documented elsewhere.

I seem to remember words my son used like 'cron job'..???...

Cron and Anacron are two sides of the same coin.

Cron is a scheduling utility that allows you to assign tasks to run at preconfigured times. With backups, scripts can be written that call on cron to invoke the backup utility or process. Cron is typically, but not always, used in a Server situation, where the subject computers and nodes &c, may be running 24x7x365, perhaps in a mission-critical situation in Enterprise.

Cron tasks can be set down to the hour or even to the minute.

Anacron, on the other hand, is most often used on desktops and laptops, which might not be required to run 24x7. Its timing can be set to the day, and so you might get a "Start of Day" or "End of Day" scenario. In the End of Day scenario, if the computer is shut down and a task is missed, the task will run next time the computer is booted.

For those whom come from a Windows environment, you may have heard of or used "Acronis" - same principles.

The OP can tell us more, but basically he works in a majority LInux environment, with perhaps a Virtual Machine or two running Windows.

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:36 AM

246ufj9.jpg <boot screen

2ihy1ll.jpg<after selecting usb verbatim etc k6is6.jpg2mfj81k.jpg

2j0dzra.jpg1zen29.jpg  140ahhk.jpg   29gc0i1.jpg

f2m1vl.jpg<<<...this after selecting uefi verbatim etc

Screen shot of thumb drive contents...same pic inside file manager

11hxs39.jpg

Edited by Condobloke, 17 December 2016 - 03:48 AM.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

I could do with seeing the contents of the file Clonezilla-Live-Version, also those of grub.cfg.

Right-click the file and choose open with Text Editor which will fire up xed, the text editor which has replaced Pluma.

If one or both (most likely grub.cfg) are large, place the contents in spoilers.

Thanks!

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

Still searching for the clonezilla-live....back in a tic

Spoiler

Edited by Condobloke, 17 December 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

I have a nifty little search thingie installed..."Catfish File Search"

I have searched in 'brian'.....and also in 'file system'....no luck

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

and this may be putting the cart before the horse....or something like that.....

Spoiler

I reckon the culprit is in here.....somewhere !

I copied and pasted this from a thing called   'grub.cfg'    ....text located at /media/brian/STORE N GO (this is the verbatim usb)

My drives are as follows:

sda1....main drive...ssd ...120GB (/dev/sda1)

sdb1...backup drive....hdd..250GB (/dev/sdb1)

sdc1   Torrents drive...hdd...300GB (/dev/sdc1)

So....it is supposed to use sda1 as the source....and backup to sdb1 as the destination.

approx 35 lines down, there is a line that says....

keyboard-layouts=NONE ocs_prerun="mount /dev/sdc1/Backup/linuxmint2016  /home/partimag/" ocs_live_run="ocs-sr -q2 -j2 -z0 -c -sc -p

.....should the red highlighted bit say    sdb1   ...??....just a not so educated guess on my part.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

and if this has some bearing on the case at hand...............if not...tell me and I will edit the post out completely, so as not to confuse lookers/audience any more than I already have

Spoiler

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

/dev/sda1    (SSD ..main drive).....UUID   35a6ff9d-1485-47a7-aadb-6b4d1af2ad86   ....(this also has sda2(extended?) and sda5.(swap)...

/dev/sdb1  ...(hdd backup drive)...UUID  1f108175-3dcc-4ee0-b7f1-89106f3ee47b

/dev/sdc1 ...(hdd torrents drive)...UUID  cf4ec0c4-38e3-464e-84d2-b0bd56b4e1e0    ....preferable that this drive is not included in backup)

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

First answer for last question is No - don't need the fstab output. Although it confirms the UUIDs on the partitions you've referred to in your latest Post.

#3 you had all the phone piccies, also the screenshot from Nemo showing the contents of the thumb drive. In that shot, you had the file Clonezilla-Live-Version - it is that file I would like contents of.

Also, do I take it that the grub.cfg two files along from it is the file for which you have produced the Spoiler content above?

With the grub.cfg on the thumb drive, can you right click it in Nemo, choose Properties and relay to me or screenshot all the content of the popup window?

Gotta check some stuff in the Garage setup and will be back soon. No hurry.

Edited typo

Edited by wizardfromoz, 17 December 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

NOTE....that the c'zilla live version info here is taken from the thumb drive itself

Clonezilla-live-Version

clonezilla-live-2.4.5-23-amd64
This Clonezilla live iso file was created by this command:
ocs-iso -s --extra-boot-param quiet -y 6.03 -i 2.4.5-23-amd64

/home/brian/Desktop/Screenshot from 2016-12-18 13-59-20.png

qrkms3.jpg

2qxausn.jpg

Edited by Condobloke, 17 December 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

In the meantime......I have been busy

I discovered that if i inserted the thumb drive (clonezilla) and booted to the UEFI line.......(which usually brings up the clonezilla screen...yellow/white....and then immediately produces an error)........

and pressed ESC .....immediately ....the proper/unerrored screen appeared......I was then able to select from the available menu....

linux mint,

clonezilla backup sda

clonezilla restore image

clonezilla  standard

I tried backup sda....and it produced the attempt to backup the sda1 drive to itself....

I then tried the "standard"....first screen is "start clonezilla".......(i clicked on)...device-image work with device or partitions using images........"top directory in the local device" (alternative here was fwbackups)........choose the mode...I chose beginner mode........then...saved disk...Save local disk as an image.....skip checking/repairing source file system...

then.....

2150pe0.jpg2ilun8.jpg  av56oi.jpg

At thjis point I stopped it...because i could not see that it was recognising a destination....backup/sdb1

If i am going off at a tangent....just tell me

Edited by Condobloke, 17 December 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:17 AM

I have progress

i booted to the uefi verbatim....

hit the esc key as the windiow started to show....selected standard....

same as before..previous post...but instead of selecting "top directory in the local device"....I selected FWVACKUPS.....and i also elected to Interactively check and repair source file etc .....  otherwise exactly the same choices......I also electred the check if the result was restorable....which it did check and said that it was !

The screen of c'zilla doesnt actually SAY it is backing up to sdb1 or the backup drive or whatever....it just says....."" starting to clone device (sda1) to image  (-)

..........that apparently means that it is cloning to sdb1 (backup drive )

10qywcx.jpg

This all took 11 minutes and 30 seconds....@3.7GB/Minute....which equates to 41.9 Gb.......yet the pic above tells there is a total of 25.1 Gb...????

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:32 AM

And this shot is with the :: 2016-12-18-05-imgFirstClonezilla ""    open to show whats inside...

2rday6f.jpg

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:38 AM

Glad I waited a minute longer, to read the above, that sounds promising

#11 was exactly the information I wanted, it tells me which version of Clonezilla you are using, and that it came from clonezilla-live-2.4.5-23-amd64.iso - that version was finalised shortly after 10th February passed. Current version is 2.5.0-5 22nd November but that does not matter.

Last Sunday 11th December at 8:56PM you were doing something with it, or else it was doing voodoo - do you know what that was?

You asked earlier

approx 35 lines down, there is a line that says....

keyboard-layouts=NONE ocs_prerun="mount /dev/sdc1/Backup/linuxmint2016  /home/partimag/" ocs_live_run="ocs-sr -q2 -j2 -z0 -c -sc -p

.....should the red highlighted bit say    sdb1   ...??....just a not so educated guess on my part.

and with regard to this part of your Spoiler from #7

Spoiler

... that is all non-standard. It can mean one of a number of things:

• You or your son have downloaded and are using an SE - Server Edition - of Clonezilla, which may feature protocols known as DRBL (which I call dribble) and PXE. This could account for your son mentioning about a cron job.
  • Your son has written into the thumb drive contents, modification/s to effect cron-style scheduling of backup tasks - do you run your computer/s 24x7?
  • Other - includes Clonezilla having been run previously, and changes that include your menu featuring the contents of that Spoiler I put in, have been written to the thumb drive for future use as a configuration

Has this thumb drive been used since you upgraded from 17.3 to 18.06 Sarah? I am guessing so.

I'll post this first before I lose the work (happens) and then read your latest Post.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users