Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After 2 12 hour days...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

So I've been repairing and restoring an old Dell XP system and I've been successful, spent so many hours on this people would think I'm nuts. I am, I just want to learn because I'm going to be trying to fix other computers as time goes on, most of them equally old.

So the one nigling issue still driving me crazy is the Belkin Wireless B card in this XP SP3 laptop. Yes, XP is EOL and not secure. Yes, Wireless B is just as bad if not more. But I still want to solve this if I can.

The wireless now finally works with the driver I had to do a hit and miss on. Have to use the driver's system tray app (Belkin v.2 Wirless B card) to run it, and if I try the ISP open to access service SSID where you input your provider username and password, it works. But when trying to set up the secured SSID of my Gateway (Comcast provided, I can't afford a good router right now), neither 64 or 128 bit encryptioned password, a password I KNOW that works, won't give me any more than limited access, or rather, connectivity with no internet or whatever it is.

The Gateway is using WPA2/WPA/AES encryption and I can't find any way to tell if it is more than 128 bit.

Also, on my own desktop, one I built myself with an ASUS Z97 board, I end up BSODding when messing with the ASUS WIFI card on my system. I don't know if something is going on with the gateway or what. My phone and other devices are working with the gateway wifi just fine, including a TLC TV.

There might be a bug with the gateway, because it no longer lets me use the "see the password" checkmark option.

I've reset the gateway about 10 times and with the Dell I am working on I've surfed and tried so many things it's almost mind boggling, Command line things, registry things, manual updates, AV work for so many hours it isn't funny, and various driver tricks. I've exhausted my webfoo and I wonder if there is even anything else to try.

BTW, on the Dell, the wired internet and a cheap and old USB WIFI adapter both work fine.

There is no way to have learned all I did, but having done them, I will recognize and better understand them in the future when I do more webfoo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Windows XP, Wifi B, and Belkin... good luck! That was a nightmare to support even when XP and Wifi B were the latest tech. 

What model is the card? Sounds like it isn't compatible with AES. AES came out around 2004 while Wifi B can be as old as 1999. The best Wifi B is going to be able to do is WPA+TKIP but probably more likly WEP. However WEP is NOT secure. If your funds are a issue, try going wired.

Also, no offense meant, but if you can afford a 290$ motherboard, how is a 10$ wifi adapter out of reach?

Edited by Trikein, 17 December 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#3 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

This computer is for someone else, and no, believe it or not, I don't even have a few dollars to my name. My Z97 that I got 2 years ago was done with Tax refunds, but that is neither here nor there.

Ok, so that IS probably the problem then.

Using wired or the thumb device is good enough for now, what was important was knowing that I DID get the Belkin working to it's limits.

I help people that cannot afford computer shops and do fixes for nothing or for food, there are a LOT of very poor people here in my area that struggle to feed their children so I try and help, it keeps me busy and improves my skills.

Thank you for your response. Try not to put too much in what you read if it sounds like a guy might have money by appearances.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

"I don't even have a few dollars to my name. "

I feel ya on that. I lost my job several months ago and have been living on savings. My desktop and laptop both died over that period too, leaving me borrowing a friend's laptop. I didn't think money was your issue. I thought you were bored and trying to get the wifi card to work for curiosity reasons. Many times I see gamers with 3,000 desktop but who rent the most crappy gateways from the ISP. Some people don't care how well a internet connection works, as long as it does. 

With that said, the card might still work, but you would have to lower the security for your whole wireless network. It goes against my grain to suggest making your wireless network vulnerable, but if that is your only option, so be it. You could try setting the security to WEP and use MAC address whitelisting. For instructions, what model router/gateway do they have?

#5 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

It's an Arris TG862.

I don't want to run WEP though.

FWIW, it does work with the Xfinity company open network (which our gateways make available) using account password on a web page. Therefore, I know the card works.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

It's an Arris TG862.

I don't want to run WEP though.

FWIW, it does work with the Xfinity company open network (which our gateways make available) using account password on a web page. Therefore, I know the card works.

WEP typically uses TKIP. WPA can either use TKIP or AES. Since your wireless card doesn't seem to be compatible with AES, you might still be able to use WPA+TKIP but that isn't that much more (if any) more secure then WEP. If WPA+TKIP is acceptable, then you might try the solution found here:

1. Go into your router gateway at address/url 10.0.0.1, login, and select "Connection" dropdown on the left.
2. Select Wifi
3. Select edit in the private wifi network section
4. Under Security mode, select the dropdown box and select "WPA-PSK (TKIP)"

Now, keep in mind, if you have any computers connected via wifi and not through a wire, you will need to do the following if you are windows:

1. Click on the internet connection in the bottom right of your screen
2. Right click on the wifi you are trying to connect to (probably showing a red x)
3. Click "Properties"
4. Click on the security tab.
5. Select the dropdown under Type of Security, and change from "WPA2-Personal" to "WPA-Personal"
6. Under Encryption Type, change from "WEP" to "TKIP"
7. Select Accept, you should be connected and good to go!

If TKIP is not secure enough for you, and you want to use the open guest network, then I would suggest turning AP isolation on. This will stop people that can connect to the open guest network from connecting to the devices on the secure network. This will effect file and print sharing though.

#7 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

Thanks a million!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users