Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Spazzing Out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 veryrandomsowhat

veryrandomsowhat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

My mom was using this computer and she opened some free kodak picture share program that a freind sent her. Right after that the computer started to restart itself over and over; only staying on for about a minute anda half at a time. Why is it doing this? Is it a virus? We tried to install a new antivirus afterwards, but the computer won't stay on long enough to get it installed. In safe mode the computer doesn't allow new programs to be installed. What should I do?

Edited by veryrandomsowhat, 27 August 2006 - 11:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:48 AM

More likely a bad program that installed itself with whatever your mother did. If you remember the name it helps.

various options here.

on the keyboard
press: winkey + r
type: appwiz.cpl
press: enter
see what programs you have if that one you don't want can be deleted.

type: msconfig
click: start ups
up to you but best disable those entries you know you don't need.

type: prefetch
delete: contents of the prefetch folder except for the one file called "layout"

If still the problem persists, do these steps on the link below:

here's a link to the steps before one posts up the HJT log. Most of the malware will be removed by it. If after the steps you stil have problems, then post log. I myself have seen that malware removal with HJT logs can take days even weeks so after the steps mentioned I normally give up reformat/reinstall but you are probably going to tell me that you haven't backed up your stuff and don't have the drivers. Link being:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_M...Log-t2852.html

Edited by fleamailman, 28 August 2006 - 12:52 AM.

everyday is a gift

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:27 AM

Hello veryrandomsowhat

Download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Download Vcleaner Tool. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Download DrWeb-CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup [but before the Windows icon appears] press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Vcleaner.

Then scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:
1. Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program.
2. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear. Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start.
3. Click "Select drives" and then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) to start.
4. When done a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
5. Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
6. A log file will be created in C:\Documents and Settings\username\DoctorWeb\CureIt.log
7. Any quarantined files will be sent to C:\Documents and Settings\username\DoctorWeb\Quarantine.
8. Exit the program and reboot normally.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users