Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice to setup Home Network between 3 buildings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blueacre

blueacre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

I currently have a wireless home network setup in my house with a trendnet router connected to the internet with wireless connections to our 2 laptops, 2 tablets,  2 cell phones and 2 wireless printers.

I would like to extend the network to two additional buildings as follows: (see attached file for diagram of locations)Attached File  Network Diagram.jpg   23.57KB   0 downloads

Workshop - my workshop is located approximately 600 feet from our house - there is clear line of sight from the house to the workshop. I want to have access to the internet in the workshop and possibly install a security camera in the workshop that can be viewed on the network.

Second House - my son's house is located approximately 0.4 miles (2000 ft) from our house and approximately the same distance from my workshop. We want to extend the network to his house so we can share the internet connection for his computers, tablets and phones. There is no line of sight between our house and my sons house - there is a hill and trees blocking a direct path between the two locations, however there is good line of sight from a location approximately 200 ft from my workshop to my son's house.

I see there are quite a few 2.4 and 5 GHz outdoor long distance wireless units that can be setup in Access Point, Bridge and other modes - some questions on using these to solve my problem:

- can I use a pair of these to extend the network from our home to my workshop

- once I have the network setup in my workshop can I use a second pair of these to extend the network to my son's house if I run a hardwired Ethernet cable from the workshop to the location approximately 200ft away where there is good line of sight to my son's house

- what additional routers or other hardware do I need in addition to the outdoor wireless devices.

I would appreciate anyone's input and advice on the required hardware and setup to extend my home network to these 2 additional locations

thanks

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

if you are on a budget mikrotik makes wonderfully stable things for the pricepoint
its almost to the point it is unbelievable

i suggest getting 4x mikrotik sxt antennas and make two separate bridges.

this is the best explanation for how to do it i have found.
https://blog.linitx.com/howto-building-building-ptp-links-mikrotik-wireless-products/
most of the other stuff out there uses outdated firmware and/or difficult ways to solve the problem
in the new 6.xx firmware its almost a matter of point and click to set it up :)

the antennas use poe (power supply over the network cable) so you only need to run one cable to them
the power feeding can be done from inside the house.

there is an adapter and a powersupply you hook up to the cable going to the antenna

if you use quality cable between the house and the point that sees your sons house you might get it to work at 200 feet.
i would test this before hooking it up
do make sure you get a cable that can withstand being used outside. the sun will destroy cable made for indoor use in a few years

my short tips are:

*use 20MHz channel width. your neighbors / internet companies who use 5GHz equipment will hate you if you go for 80MHz AC standard.

for sharing internet, printer and a webcamera this frequency width is perfectly fine. 90mbit speed is usually enough for most things to work fine :)

*make sure you tune the power transmit settings of the antennas. if the signal is too strong on the receiving end it will saturate the electronics inside and make perfomance worse
somewhere around -60dbm reception signal level is perfectly fine (remember the scale goes up to 0, so -40 is too strong.. -80 is too low)
it also makes you interfere less with your neighbors/isp's equipment

*scan for which channels are in use and then select one that has no useage

*if you have bad weather conditions get an enclosed version that can take the weather.
seaspray, snow, rain or wind.. all bad for the semiopen case on the sxt

i dont know where you live but here is an example of the mikrotik sxt ptp link in a webshop
http://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-5ghz-ptp-link-starter-kit-802-11ac-16dbi-built-in-antenna.html

if you need weatherproofed stuff i suggest giving them (or similar sellers) a call and take it from there
a microtik card to mount inside a weatherproof antenna should not be more than 50-60% more expensive

hth!

tfn

ps: stay away from the cheap ubiquiti stuff. its not worth the hassle

#3 blueacre

blueacre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

thanks for all the info "toofarnorth" - I had not run across Mikrotik hardware but will definitely have a look,

- is there any specific model of the SXT that you would recommend for this application ? The first one I cam across on line was a model 5HND

- not sure what you mean by being semi open and needing a weatherproof enclosure - the 5NHD I looked at seems to be weather tight already ?

- you mentioned that the 200 ft run to the line of sight point for my sons house might be a problem and to test it - is the limitation the network signal over the Ethernet cable or the length of cable from the POE power supply to the antenna? If the power supply is the limitation I could run a 120 volt power supply to a weather tight enclosure near the line of sight point and mount the POE box close to the antenna - that would shorten the cable from the power supply to the antenna but the Ethernet cable from the workshop to the POE would still be close to 200 ft.

thanks again for all the help

Gary

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

for single point to single point links any sxt version should work fine.

they have quite a few versions

some have 25 degree antenna beam, others have 90 degree.
you can get them with N standard or AC standard, high power or normal power.

i would pick this one if i could choose
https://routerboard.com/RBSXT5HPnDr2

reason for this is that the N standard ones have been more stable than the AC versions for our uses

as for the weatherproofing i am refering to the hatch you open to insert the cable into the antenna.
it is not water/dust proof so thats why i asked if you had harsh weather conditions :)

if you look at this picture you will understand. note there is no gaskets to seal the antenna completely once you close the hatch
762_l.jpg

when it comes to the cable length it is actually a bit of both.
the poe is the biggest concern. my personal experience is that around 60metres (180feet) is the limit on the 24volt poe
you might be able to run longer if you use a thicker cable (less loss pr meter)
23awg cat6 cable might be what you need to go for

hth!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users