Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will This Work As A Server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

PC CHIPS M825G (v9.2a) Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KM266Pro Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
POWMAX CP769PL-6 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
AMPO 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory Model 35134588-P - Retail
AMD Duron 1.8 Applebred 266MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model DHD1800DLV1C - OEM
CHAINTECH LA-FX20-H Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Low Profile Video Card - Retail

will this work as a server for a few small websites. I know that servers are memory intensive so does anyone know where i can get some cheap memory?
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Newegg.com is a good place to look for some mermory

Second of all yes that will run a server. I used to run a webserver on an old Pentium 2 233 with 128Mb of ram... Now I am not sure that it will handle 250 people at the same time but I don't really think that your internet connection can either.

BTW Check with your ISP to make sure running a web server doesn't violate your TOS (Terms of Service). Often they don't allow running of any kind of server and they often block port 80 wich is used for web servers. You may have to upgrade your service to something like Business Class.

#3 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

kk
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#4 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

woops i totally misunderstood what my friend wanted he wanted a file and music server... lol glad i asked a few more questions of him. So if u have any advice as to making this better it would be appreciated.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

They only thing I would check is if it has Windows XP. It will make turning it into a server alot easier. Just flip on file and print sharing and you're pretty good to go... If it is running Windows 98 or something a little harder...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users