Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

Looking for a motherboard for a Dell e6510. Noticed 2 or 3 different models, are the all interchangeable? Does it have to the the exact model in my rig?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

https://www.amazon.com/WJ1RV-Latitude-Motherboard-Mainboard-Integrated/dp/B00UX23N3G , motherboard for laptop.

I myself would not attempt to replace such (I hate laptops) because laptops don't provide the freedom of movement and ease that desktops do.  Many of our members here can advise you on that aspect of what you seem to want to do.

Louis

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

Does it have to the the exact model in my rig

Has to be exactly made for your laptop, probably the only way to get a replacement is from dell.

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Louis. I agree they are a pain, but I'm retired and have the time now, just wondering if they are all compatible?

#5 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Saw your link, are way way cheaper on the net.

#6 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

Does it have to the the exact model in my rig

Has to be exactly made for your laptop, probably the only way to get a replacement is from dell.

Thanks, Actually I have bought Dell motherboards from E-bay and did not have a problem, was the exact model though, out of curiosity, why make 3/4 different boards for the same model computer?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

LOL...have you ever looked up how many different sub-models Dell has ?  Dell has to put extra extensions of some system models because they believe if something works the first time...why not trot it out over and over, with a new model designation?

Some Dell boards are exactly the same for 2 or more systems that happen to have different model designations.  I believe it's the same for HP...maybe the same for all the big OEMs.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

@durkinjt

Dell Systems although being of the same system model can vary.

You can have 2 identical looking Dell Latitude E6510 systems on a bench side by side and be deceived.

A perfect example would be the following...

System 1 would have Integrated Intel Video.

System 2 would have Discrete Nvidia Video.

This would be a nightmare installing drivers unless you know what configuration you have.

Your Service Tag uniquely identifies your configuration and can be used on the Dell website to identify your configuration.

The Service Tag number is 5 or 7 alpha-numeric characters. Not to be confused with the Express Service Code which is much longer in digits.

If you need assistance please post your Service Tag number next reply and I will help you!

Old Rocker

#9 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the great info, think I'll pass on this one.

#10 MatthewLike

MatthewLike

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

I have replaced motherboard for my Dell e6510 with  board number CN-0HMKY7. Not bad.

#11 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Thanks Matt, Was it the same model that came with your e6510?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

To take old rockers post a bit further.

One of the pitfalls in changing a motherboard on a OEM computer is the possibility that components on the motherboard may be different than the original as old rocker suggested.  Different chipset, different version of the CPU, etc.  When you go to install and eventually run the new motherboard you may find that there are differences which will be recognized by Windows.  This will result in the inability to activate the operating system.  Windows on a OEM computer is intended for one installation only.  This installation is tied to the motherboard and its components that came with the computer.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Thank you, I think I got the message.

#14 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

@durkinjt

Being retired myself I understand your need to attempt challenges (familiar and unfamiliar).

If you want a second opinion I say go for it!

To begin your search for the proper motherboard try these steps...

Find your Service Tag Number and visit: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/4/

Find in the section Product Support "Enter a Service Tag or other product ID"

Enter your Service Tag Number and hit Submit. You will be directed to a page unique to your system. It should display something like "Support for Dell Latitude E6510" and you will see your Service Tag and Express Service Code displayed also. This is all about your Dell Latitude E6510

Find and click System Configuration on the navigation pane, you will be directed to a page displaying something along the line of "System configuration for your Latitude E6510"

Select the Original configuration tab and expand the " > Components section".

Looking through thr list, find your particular Video Configuration...
it may list something like nnn=nnnn: Intel HD Graphics or Nvidia da da da

Now you can search the web for the proper motherboard for your system.

I highly recommend and have used https://www.parts-people.com/ when I had my shop if I needed parts for a dell system. Very Reputable.
(Disclaimer: I do not Work for or am I associated in any way with them.)

Give it a go if you like, you stand nothing to lose and much to gain! I'll be around if you need me.

Old Rocker

#15 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Thanks much OR, am printing this out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users