Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going to rebuild desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

I've decided to rebuild most of my desktop PC since I was having problems with it. New parts are en route from Newegg.

I'm going to reuse my hard drive since it was just several months old. Can I just reinstall the operating system on the hard drive (either existing Windows 7 license or Linux Mint). Or should I wipe this hard drive in some other way first? I doubt this hard drive has any defects.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

There's no need to "wipe". When installing OS, you can format OS partition and that's enough "wipe" as you don't want to destroy data so that no-one else can read it.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

What type of problems...do you think that your rebuild will address and overcome?

Any hardware situations will not be overcome/remedied by merely doing a reinstall of Windows.  At the very minimum...I always run a reliable hard drive diagnostic  before even considering a clean install, with the only exception being that the drive brand-new out-of-the-package :).

Louis

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

I always run a reliable hard drive diagnostic  before even considering a clean install

Same but not everyone douse a good job when setting up a pc.

#5 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'format OS partition.'.

I just have a Windows 7 Home Premium for system builders install CD. Will this CD accomplish formatting the OS partition?

Doesn't the hard drive have to be installed in the PC to run a diagnostic?

I don't have another PC to test it in.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

What Drilling is trying to convey to you is called a non destructive OS restore it's not really a repartition and that is what I would go with in your situation if you have critical data you need to keep. Or, you can simply save your data on a device like an external USB drive or thumb drive. and do a fresh install but that also requires chipset/GPU/device/ type drivers. This depends on the PC or laptop you have of course.

Here are some nice instructions for a W7 non destructive restore with your Windows 7 Disc. (Don't pay attention to the word destructive what it really means is an O/S restore but keeping your data - settings)

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-repair-a-faulty-windows-installation-without-reformatting/

If you can please tell us what exact system (PC/laptop) you have and what was happening with your system that you think requires this.

Edited by Zone_86, 20 December 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#7 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I have a homebuilt desktop PC. The new parts have arrived already. So I should be rebuilding soon. I already did testing, research, and troubleshooting with the old PC. What started out as system crashes caused by Windows updates, worsened when I installed wrong BIOS or motherboard updates. Then I bent pins on the processor. The parts were aging anyway, so I decided it was time to rebuild. My goal is to dump Windows altogether, and I already have a Linux Mint install CD on standby.

I printed out the link above. I've used these procedures before. I think I would be better off to reformat.

What's the best way to reformat.........just do a fresh install from CD? Or should I install Windows 7 and then reformat hard drive from the OS system tools/tasks or whatever?

I'm not concerned about critical data. Everything already saved on USB flash drives. I guess just to make sure I'll have to run diagnostic on the hard drive after I install..........? Hamluis recommended a diagnostic tool I used in the past, Forgot what it was.

The new MB is Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, LGA 1151, ATX. I am supposed to use Windows 7 USB installation tool if I don't go with Linux

For now, I am going to stick with integrated video on new motherboard

New processor is Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 BX80662I36100 Desktop Processor  

The existing hard drive I would want to reuse is Western Digital Black 7200 rpm 500GB.

I'm going to keep existing DVD combo drive too         

Any other specs you want me to include?

Edited by skymaster191, 20 December 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Any valid Windows install disk...contains the necessary instructions for formatting a partition to be used for installing Windows.  Just answer the questions onscreen.

Louis

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

The new MB is Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, LGA 1151, ATX. I am supposed to use Windows 7 USB installation tool if I don't go with Linux

New processor is Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 BX80662I36100 Desktop Processor 

Return those (or at least motherboard) if you haven't opened packages. i3 is very expensive dual core and even if you want to use it, there are no valid reasons to go with Z170 board. Upgrade to i5/i7 is waste of money so that's not valid reason (unless you want to waste money).

#10 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

Ok. Thanks for the responses. Don't understand. Why do you want me to return those parts? They weren't that expensive compared to other parts I saw. These parts also had positive consumer feedback.

Edited by skymaster191, 20 December 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

Bla the I3 fine but my self i probably would have gone AMD CPU, AMD gives you a lot for cheap like a 6 core cpu for less then your I3.

As for the HDD wipe if you don't want to think to hard about it when installing Linux mint it will do the wipe for you when it installs.

Better btw would be to have two HDD one for Linux one for your data, if and when the Os bombs not having everything on one drive makes life a lot nicer.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

Ok. Thanks for the responses. Don't understand. Why do you want me to return those parts? They weren't that expensive compared to other parts I saw. These parts also had positive consumer feedback.

Customer feedback is usually like that: It works = positive. It's DOA = it sucks.

As already stated, i3 is very expensive CPU being dual core. And even if you want to keep it, you can get H110 board much cheaper. Like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128873&cm_re=lga1151-_-13-128-873-_-Product

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 December 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#13 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

Thanks. I checked it out. I already changed my mind before and returned unopened parts to Newegg. I can't keep changing my mind.

Yes. I am definitely leaning towards two hard drives. Maybe a solid state drive for the second one.

I definitely see what you're saying about AMD processors. I just checked it out. I switched to Intel to avoid the tons of pins with AMD. But now I see the Intel one has tons of pins too.

Hmmm........................I'll think about it

Edited by skymaster191, 21 December 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#14 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Rebuilt PC is up and running. I decided to keep the first parts I purchased. It runs fine. Right now I am just running Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon. It does everything I need. If all goes well, I'll swear off Microsoft forever. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users