Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation for alternative to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mytechnerdca

mytechnerdca

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

Hi All,

I'm an IT Consultant and have a client that insists on using IE on Windows 10, eventhough I have explained, and they have acknowledged, that it's not the best browser, it's lacking security updates, doesn't render all modern sites correctly, etc. They even know that at somepoint in the near future Microsoft will stop providing any updates to it and they will be forced to sitch to Firefox (ideally in my opinion), Chrome, or Edge.

A few months ago, during a conversation about protecting his computers, we discussed renewing MBAM Premium. He decided to go ahead and subscribe. When we did so, there was a special offer including Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, I suggeste to go for the extra protection based on the special pricing offered.

I didn't know this for a few months, but MBAE was causing IE to crash regularly. Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, no issues. We ended up having to open a ticket with Malwarebytes support, which unfortunately was email only and took 2 weeks to get any traction as replies would come at 3am EST and you can't call them for support either. It was frustratingly slow. They provided clean tools to uninstall their apps cleanly, and log collection tools to provide them with logs. They could not reproduce the issue, they provided a patch, which lowered the frequency of IE crashing, but didn't eliminate the crashing. They even suggested we try the 3.0 beta, which we did. It seemed to resolve the issue, but over the last 2 weeks, the issue is still there, although much less frequent. And now the client tells me it's happening on his other PC (identical model and with Windows 10), but not his old Visat laptop which also has one of the licenses.

So now he wants an alternative to MBAM/MBAE. For AV he has Windows Defender. While I'm happy to install Norton Security Standard/Deluxe/Premium 2017 or BitDefender Internet Security 2017, I believe a dedicated Anti-Malware app with real time scanning is more of a direct alternative than an AV app with AM protection. Unless I am wrong. Anti-Ransomware and Anti-Exploit would also be nice to have integrated. Do any of you have any expert opinions?

In my research, what I would recommend to a business client (based on a healthy budget) is the following layered approach:

1) BitDefender (via their Cloud Security for MSP platform) with local and cloud scanning, and low system resource requirements, and multi-OS support

2) WebRoot cloud only scanning (also through their MSP platform), which is as far as I am aware, designed to not interfere with traditional AV or AM, and extremely low system resource requirements, and multi-OS support

3) Malwarebytes EndPoint Security which as far as I am aware does not interfere with traditional AV, moderate system resource requirements, still Windows only, but

Symantec/Norton may be a suitable alternative to BitDefender, but as of a year ago when I analysed this for a client, they didnt have cloud scanning, that may have changed.

But for consumer/SOHO, I'm not sure of what to suggest as an alternative to MBAM/MBAE.

As long as pricing is comparable to MBAM, and the vendor is ligitimate and provides an effective solution, then I will consider them.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Edited by mytechnerdca, 16 December 2016 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

Comment deleted Because Uneducated.

Edited by Viper_Security, 16 December 2016 - 01:31 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 mytechnerdca

mytechnerdca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

But can't run only MBAM, still need an AV app of some sort.

And in this case, I've been asked for a suitable alternative to Malwarebytes.

And MBAM is not US$24.99, it's US$39.99 or C$51.99 for 1 PC/year. Paying C$50/year plus AV cost isn't neccessarily a good value.

Edited by mytechnerdca, 16 December 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Please look into Emsisoft Anti-Malware which also now is anti-virus; the real time protection shields are very good, it will be in your face a little while until you have configured the EAM/AV to suit.  I've been using it for some time - it does the job very well!

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/  [home & small office use]

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/business/antimalware/  [business & industrial use]

Edited by RolandJS, 16 December 2016 - 01:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

If you have not already, please peruse quietman7's excellent post about anti-malware software.  I suggest you also take a look at:

Zemana AntiMalware Premium

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

Although Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (& Anti-Ransomware are being discontinued since they both have been incorporated into the Malwarebytes 3.0..., per one of the developers (pbust), current standalone beta versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit & Anti-Ransomware will continue in perpetual beta form.

MBAE standalone (as well as ARW standalone) will continue in perpetual beta where we will release new versions to test before integrating them into MB3. So there will be an MBAE standalone 1.10, 1.11, etc. The upgrades will work exactly as they are working today, ie auto-upgrades by default with the option to disable auto-upgrades and get a popup notification when there is a new version.

The Perpetual Beta

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit standalone(MBAE) will from now on be offered as a perpetual beta product. The standalone MBAE will incorporate new protection techniques for fine-tuning purposes before they are integrated into the Malwarebytes 3.x product. Users who wish to continue using Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit only instead of Malwarebytes 3.0 will be able to do so through the use of this perpetual Beta.

MBAE Standalone & Malwarebytes 3.0 Release

Either EAM or ESET will work fine with MBAE.

BTW.....Zemana AntiMalware would be a suitable alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 mytechnerdca

mytechnerdca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I had never heard of Zemana before this. Does Zemana have anti-exploit technology? To be clear: 1) Emsisoft Antimalware is really a traditional AV with AM features 2) Zemana is the best alternative to MBAM+MBAE/MBAM3?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Despite it's name, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Per the FAQs near the bottom of Emsisoft's web site.

Why is it called "Anti-Malware" and not "Antivirus"?
Our lab has determined that classic viruses only make up less than 0.5% of total threats (in 2016). Using "Antivirus" would therefore be wrong by definition. We're perfectionists so we have elected to use the broader term "Malware" as it stands for all kinds of online threats.

Zemana AntiMalware includes Ransomware Protection but you can get more details from their development team. There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where an Authorized Zemana Rep (ida15) and Zemana Malware Analyst (TwinHeadedEagle) answer questions, provide feedback and welcome suggestions.

Whether Zemana is the best alternative....that is more of an opinion.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users