Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my current 2GB (x2) SO-DIMM's are 1.5 V , Can I upgrade Using 1.3 V new modules?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jcrr1985

jcrr1985

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hello. I havea doubt, and it is ¿How to know if my motheboard accept/support "X" or "Y" Memory? Actually, my laptop is using 2 memory modules PC-10600 / DDR3-1333Mhz, and CPU-Z says they consume 1.5 V. I want to upgrade and I saw a couple Crucial Memory modules with this specs: PC-12800 / 1600 Mhz., but tthe lable says "1.3 V".  ¿If I buy and install them, will my laptop have troubles? (from not turning on to damaging the memories, the memories slots or even damaging the whole the motherboard?

I have always had the eternal doubt of:  "How to know if certain memory can be recognized by my laptop, without causing problems".

I will attach in this post a screenshot of what the SPD label of CPU-Z shows about my memory modules

(I apologise for my akward and bad english!)  

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion. Thank you guys.

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2016 - 12:22 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:01 AM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-7/announcement-46-please-provide-system-specifications-when-posting-a-problem/

#3 jcrr1985

jcrr1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

My laptop is a Dell inspiron N5010 (model 0WXY9J)

Processor: Intel Core i3 370M. @2.40GHz, 2.39GHz
Memoria instalada 4GB (2x2Gb)

Sistema Operativo de 64 bits, Procesador x64

I Hope you can help me solve the issue :)

Arigato.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

You have a computer which is capable of running in dual channel.  Dual channel  shortens the throughput time by about half effectively making the RAM twice as fast.  In order to run dual channel you need to have matched modules.  This is why RAM manufacturers sell matched pairs.

The modules you posted are different speeds.  With mixed speed the faster module will underclock to the speed of the slower module.

Using matched modules resolves the problems which can occur with mixed voltages.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

I agree with dc3. it is best to run with a matching set. You get away with the slower ram working but it cause problems. try to at least match the speed and type of ram when you upgrade. E.G. you are currently running 2x 2GB PC-10600 / DDR3-1333Mhz   it is ok to swap out for  2x 4GB PC-10600 / DDR3-1333Mhz

What crucial.com recommends

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-n5010#memoryResults 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

@Nightspear

It would be a lot easier to simply get the RAM model and product number from the Speccy (if the op ever posts it) and find another matching module.  Mix in RAM modules in dual channel usually doesn't end well.  This is why I suggest purchasing what is already installed, that and it is a lot less expensive than purchase two modules rather than one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

@dc3

I totally agree. That is why I went to crucial. OP gave us make and model of their pc. I plugged that in the adviser tool and got the results of the compatible ram they sell. Now OP has to find out what their pc maxes out at. It will be pointless to buy 16GB of ram if your pc can only utilize 6GB. In my experience, PC's bought now days can double the ram that is pre-installed. Unless they have a custom build or custom ordered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users