Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Frozen looking for Credintials

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jrhalstead

jrhalstead

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Have a client's computer I installed Office 2016 on, now the password dialog freezes when asking to enter credintials.  It does the same thing when I try to create a new profile.  Uninstalled office 2016 and reinstalled, rebooted, no change.  I've fixed this once before several years ago with 2013 but I can't remember what I did and can't find in on google.  Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

You have a paid license which you used when you did the install?  That license has not been used on any other system?

Louis

#3 jrhalstead

jrhalstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:36 AM

This org has office 365 and this user has a license assigned in the admin console 

#4 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

Try Outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe) and/or re-create the profile from the control panel (mail 32-bit and backup existing appdata folders) and don't use the Outlook wizard.  Also check that the dialog box has the email address in it and not something like user@domain.local.  

#5 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

This org has office 365 and this user has a license assigned in the admin console 

Which license type?  I'm assuming Premium if you've re-installed it?  

#6 jrhalstead

jrhalstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

Try Outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe) and/or re-create the profile from the control panel (mail 32-bit and backup existing appdata folders) and don't use the Outlook wizard.  Also check that the dialog box has the email address in it and not something like user@domain.local.  

Done, no change.  Also, Business Premium installed straight from office.microsoft.com.  As soon as the dialog box pops we get the windows 7 equivelant of the hourglass from the pointer and if you click on the dialog at all the dialog goes white.  In Control Panel as well.  Also, this is Exchange online, just migrated from exchange 2010.  That shouldn't matter, I've done 35+ other users now, but there you have it.

#7 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:51 AM

Was there a previous iteration of Office installed (2013/2010)?  If so, did that get completely removed first?  I would uninstall it, log into the login.microsoftonline.com and download it directly from the users portal (not sure if that's where it's coming from or more from the admin/console side).  There's also a click-to-run fix out there as well when it gets wonky.  I think the fix-it site has it.  Could also try the full repair.  

Do any of the other MS Apps open (word, excel?)  If so, is it signing the user into their office account?

#8 jrhalstead

jrhalstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Was there a previous iteration of Office installed (2013/2010)?  If so, did that get completely removed first?  I would uninstall it, log into the login.microsoftonline.com and download it directly from the users portal (not sure if that's where it's coming from or more from the admin/console side).  There's also a click-to-run fix out there as well when it gets wonky.  I think the fix-it site has it.  Could also try the full repair.  

Do any of the other MS Apps open (word, excel?)  If so, is it signing the user into their office account?

2010 was installed and seems to have been removed successfully.  I did download it from the user's portal.  All other apps open just fine and are signed into the users account and activated.

#9 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Are there any saved creds in the credential manager?  Was this a recent migration to 365 from another hosted or in-house exchange?  If so, was the auto-discover record updated?  I'd blow out all credentials not needed.  

#10 jrhalstead

jrhalstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Are there any saved creds in the credential manager?  Was this a recent migration to 365 from another hosted or in-house exchange?  If so, was the auto-discover record updated?  I'd blow out all credentials not needed.  

Blowing out credentials is on my list but the user is in a meeting, so I'll try that in a bit.  Was in-house.  Auto discover did not update but I generally create a new profile at that point, which I cannot do because of the dialog locking up when prompting

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

Thanks, had to ask the obvious.

You may want to browse through links at https://www.google.com/#q=Office+++365+password+problems

Let's take a look at errors reflected per some tools.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

#12 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

So 365 also has a desktop wizard you can run as well to 'prep' the PC.  Could be updates are missing (you'd like to think you're downloading with the latest, but we're talking about MS here), could also just be the adr pointing one way when you want it to go another.  We ran into similar problems with a client going from an in-house exchange server to 365 - even though we updated the adr well before the cut over.  Is the old exchange server still online/attached to the domain?

#13 jrhalstead

jrhalstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

Found out it was the built in dell security manager that was stepping all over this.  Removed and now it's working fine, thanks!

#14 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

Good to know.  We use Dell for both our workstations and servers.  Glad you got it figured out and working!  Stupid bloatware....

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users