Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gutenprint - was this legitime software?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Iklatenk

Iklatenk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:46 AM

I tried to get old printer from Windows to work with Mac, but it lacked drivers. I downloaded Gutenprint, tested it, got it print one page, then printer got weird - the on/off button refused to be shut off and to get unresponsive printer to shut down, I had to unplug power cable.
After putting cable back, printer was fine again, but trying to print again, caused the same issue - power button burns, pushing it has no effect and only way to shut printer down was to remove the cable.

I removed Gutenprint and good riddance, I have another (though black and white) printer for Mac anyways.

But due to printer acting so weird, I am worried if it was legitimate software. I have habit of making screenshots and I have these left from that time - can someone please take a look and tell me if this looks like legitimate software

Site I used:

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+16.56.18.png

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+16.57.22.png

Then Canon printer said something about wrong or mistake made during installation and wanted to do changes.

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+16.58.57.png

I then downloaded uninstaller

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.00.33.png

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.02.43.png

As I installed it twice, I also removed it twice.

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.07.31.png

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.07.46.png

I just want to know if this looks like legitimate software and it did not leave behind anything bad or cause damage?

I hope it was just my printer not accepting what is wide known software, but it worries me. At this point, I regret at all trying to get the old printer working and downloading this software.
Malwarebytes hasn't found anything so that's some consolation.

I compared the url of on those snapshots and they look like they belong to legitimate software site? I'm starting to doubt everything...

Edited by Iklatenk, 16 December 2016 - 06:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Gutenprint (formely gimp-print) is a legitimate software, I used it and the CUPS wrapper to install printer drivers on my linux.

Just make sure to check the Checksums  to see if they match up.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Iklatenk

Iklatenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

Gutenprint (formely gimp-print) is a legitimate software, I used it and the CUPS wrapper to install printer drivers on my linux.

Checksums? The file size given in download window and the file size downloaded file itself is in the end? If they don't match up, would it mean malicious tampering?

Well, damn, I don't have those files any longer. But if those snapshots looked real, urls and such, then I shouldn't worry about this particular download?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

This page will explain checksums for you:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/05/check-sha1-checksum-in-mac-os-x/

It is basically a way to see if the downloaded file has been tapered with.  If no tapering happened, then when you check the checksum for the downloaded file on your computer, it should match the value shown on the developer's website.

#5 Iklatenk

Iklatenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

This page will explain checksums for you:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/05/check-sha1-checksum-in-mac-os-x/

It is basically a way to see if the downloaded file has been tapered with.  If no tapering happened, then when you check the checksum for the downloaded file on your computer, it should match the value shown on the developer's website.

I see, thank you! I guess I won't be downloading those files again to see if checksums match. Hopefully they were safe first time.

Edited by Iklatenk, 20 December 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#6 Emirka

Emirka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hello!
Sorry for bothering, but I've been thinking of using Gutenprint and trying to find info.
Do I get it right that downloading and installing Gutenprint from

gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Download.php

is completely safe and will not harm my Mac?

I'm asking because I heard sourceforge has dangerous downloads, but not sure if it is true. Or are links on gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ verified to be safe, even if the download links are sourceforge.net ones?

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

source forge is a pretty good site despite what people say, i get all my linux .deb and .rpm files from there and not once have i had an issue with an unsafe download.

Sometime unfortunately there will be. but i don't think guten-print would be one of those since it is help up by good people.

i went to sourceforge and looked for guten-print and it showed me this link:  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Download.php

hQBT2G3.png

#8 Emirka

Emirka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

source forge is a pretty good site despite what people say, i get all my linux .deb and .rpm files from there and not once have i had an issue with an unsafe download.

Sometime unfortunately there will be. but i don't think guten-print would be one of those since it is help up by good people.

i went to sourceforge and looked for guten-print and it showed me this link:  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Download.php

So the reputation is due to few bad apples and Gutenprint is famous enough to not be malicious?

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Yes you should be fine downloading gutenprint. just match up the checksums as mentioned before. Iklatenk has posted a link describing how to find them and check them. 

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users