Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Play My Vinyl Turtable through my PC's Line-In

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peterfoster

peterfoster

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

Got an Audio Technica AP-LP60-USB turntable (which has a built in pre-amp) and am trying to play records through my pc via the pc's line-in connector. (I can play records through the USB connection but it's a tad inconvenient because the Audacity Software gets in the way a bit)

My pc is a Dell Alienware X51 running Windows 10. All my audio drivers are up to date.

I've right-clicked the speaker icon and selected "recording devices" to make sure that the line-in jack is enabled, which it is. (The line-in jack is the default device and is described as "Line in high definition audio device.")  I've noticed after right-clicking "recording devices" that I can see to the right a vertical "scale" of ten bars. When I play a record on the turntable the green display within this vertical scale of bars moves up and down with the music but, sadly, there is no sound....

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I've googled my problem but have been unable to make much progress. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

Just to add that the problem as described also occurs when I use a different turntable so I don't believe there's an issue with the turntables.

#3 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

I've been informed on another forum that I may need to use headphones or the USB/Audacity route as "most PCs turn off the internal speakers when either a microphone or other source is plugged in." 

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:22 AM

What are you actually trying to do with this set up? Are you trying to record your records or play your records to listen to on blue tooth or wi ifi or NAS or.....?

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 24 December 2016 - 04:22 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hello, Rocky and Merry Christmas. What I had intended to do was to play my records through my desktop's speakers via a line-in connection but I haven't been able to achieve this so I've settled for playing my records through the desktop's speakers via USB connection which is acceptable.

Edited by peterfoster, 24 December 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

I find it odd that you want to use a PC as some kind of amplifier. A PC is not an amplifier and does not even have an amplifier built into it. My motherboard has a very little teeny tiny amp, but why would anyone try to use it to amplify an outside source?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

My turntable has a built-in pre-amp. I'm happy to exchange hi-fi performance for space-saving convenience.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

No, my post had nothing to do with pre-amps, my post clearly indicated amplifier. There is no built in amplifier in a PC unless you count the little IC that is found on some motherboards, which is really not a true amplifier. But as long as you are happy, that is what counts.

Happy Holidays!!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users