Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mondo Rescue Disaster Recovery Tool...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:18 AM

If any members have any experience of the use of Mondo....please rant and rave about it in your reply....the good, the bad, the downright horrible...

Clone/Backup Linux Systems...  (MONDO)

Following a somewhat turbulent experience with FWBACKUPS, I have decided to push on and try another solution to the ever present question of backing up/cloning a Linux system.

It is quite obvious there are a few out there that will "do the job"...but the dearth of programs that will do it easily and accurately....in a similar fashion to Macrium Reflects performance in the msoft windows arena....or AOMEI Backupper .....which also does a simple accurate and essentially easy job of cloning/copying one disc to another.

Just why there is no equivalent "gold Standard" backup program in linux ...is beyond me.

For anyone who has struggled with the complexities of the available programs, the sight of a Good Program on the horizon would bring about a collective sigh of relief. The 'died in the wool' old linuxers would, I am sure, breath scorn on it from a great height....almost as if they are unwilling/unable to share the system they love with anything "easy" and "straightforward" such as the windows clients get thrust upon them.

SO....it is in this state of mind that i am about to peruse/test/screw around with...MONDO

Mondo Rescue is an open source, free disaster recovery and backup utility that allows you to easily create complete system (Linux or Windows) Clone/Backup ISO Images to CD, DVD, Tape, USB devices, Hard Disk, and NFS..... And can be used to quickly restore or redeploy working image into other systems, in the event of data loss, you will be able to restore as much as entire system data from backup media.

The latest Mondo Rescue packages (current version of Mondo is 3.0.3-1) can be obtained from the “MondoRescue Repository“.

Use “wget” command to download and add repository under your system.

The Mondo repository will install suitable binary software packages such as afio, buffer, mindi, mindi-busybox, mondo and mondo-doc for your distribution, if they are available.

I am running LINUX MINT 18.6 (Sarah) Cinnamon.

There fore the instructions for my install are...::

On Ubuntu/Linux Mint

To install Mondo Rescue in Ubuntu 12.10, 12.04, 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04 or Linux Mint 13, open the terminal and add the MondoRescue repository in “/etc/apt/sources.list” file. Run these following commands to install Mondo Resuce packages.

# wget ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/ubuntu/`lsb_release -r|awk '{print $2}'`/mondorescue.sources.list
# sh -c "cat mondorescue.sources.list >> /etc/apt/sources.list" 
# apt-get update 
# apt-get install mondo
Creating Cloning or Backup ISO Image of System/Server

After installing Mondo, Run “mondoarchive” command as “root” user. Then follow screenshots that shows how to create an ISO based backup media of your full system.

# mondoarchive

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

Immediately....there is a problem with install

terminal output...:

Spoiler

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:03 AM

OK, I can see a bit of your problem right from the start, and I'll get you to do the work, lol.

1st up, with

brian@brian-desktop ~ $ sh -c "cat mondorescue.sources.list >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
sh: 1: cannot create /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied
brian@brian-desktop ~ $

... in the Spoiler in #2, that means you should have been Root, or else prefaced it with "sudo".

But going back further, and for the benefit of the viewers, coming up while I post this

:wizardball: Wiz

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

#1:

you have the following, and my comments are highlighted in between

On Ubuntu/Linux Mint

To install Mondo Rescue in Ubuntu 12.10, 12.04, 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04 or Linux Mint 13, open the terminal and add the MondoRescue repository in “/etc/apt/sources.list” file. Run these following commands to install Mondo Resuce packages.

With the following 4 lines, the # at the beginning typically means that you should be at Root (sudo -i and enter password), or prefaced with "sudo"

# wget ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/ubuntu/`lsb_release -r|awk '{print $2}'`/mondorescue.sources.list
# sh -c "cat mondorescue.sources.list >> /etc/apt/sources.list" 
# apt-get update 
# apt-get install mondo
Creating Cloning or Backup ISO Image of System/Server

After installing Mondo, Run “mondoarchive” command as “root” user. Then follow screenshots that shows how to create an ISO based backup media of your full system.

# mondoarchive

This last line, in context with what I have said above, means that you are remaining as Root to issue that command, or, again, prefacing the command with "sudo"

BUT .... and that's a big BUT.

At the Mondo site you've linked to, it mentions, amongst other things:

On Ubuntu/Linux Mint

We're on 16.04 (LTS) and 16.10 (dot point release) with Ubuntu currently, and 18.06 with LM.

Both the Ubuntu and LM are running under systemd process manager, prior to that (& that includes when the Mondo stuff was current), it was sysvinit.

That's not saying Mondo won't work now, but I have to look into it further.

The reference to "/etc/apt/sources.list" ?

This is simply your Software Sources applet/packages where you can add eg a PPA (Personal Package Archive).

So we need to establish the currency of Mondo itself, and its resources, before we can go further ... perhaps, lol.

As for

Just why there is no equivalent "gold Standard" backup program in linux ...is beyond me.

A flip response is - if gold was lying on the streets, there'd be no fun in mining for it? But I understand your frustration.

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

Tried this:

Tried this:

brian@brian-desktop ~ $ tar xvfz perl-MondoRescue-1.0.tar.gz
tar (child): perl-MondoRescue-1.0.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
brian@brian-desktop ~ $

Also submitted a question HERE 

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Simon & Garfunkel sang "Slow down, you move too fast..." - you know the rest.

You're getting ahead of yourself and may come to grief.

The tar you have downloaded features "perl" in its title and will be only a part of the whole bundle you need to run Mondo.

Mondo goes hand in hand with Mindi, where Mindi Linux provides the environment for the creation of the bootable medium used to recover data backed up with Mondo. Without the integrated installation, you'll go nowhere fast.

I have got this far in the Study:

13XjJzC.png

... but that in itself is insufficient to run the program (which is invoked in Terminal), so I am still piecing together information from a number of disparate sites of varying currency. Certainly v3.2.2 is what you want. On the upside, there are a number of good reviews of the product, and I have located a guide, in the Garage, which I am looking into soon.

BAD NEWS is this - since you have gone offsite to ask a question of Mondo's people, this Topic is stalled in the water until you get a response.

Policy at BC is that if you ask offsite, you need to get an answer first so that we don't all work at cross purposes.

You could cancel your question there, but I would see what they come back with?

Meantime if we have someone here whom uses Mondo, hope they can be watching this and be on standby?

Cheers

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

Thanks so Much Wiz....Much appreciated !.....and yes, I will wait patiently for BrunoCornec to pen a reply.

Someone here at Bleeping Computer with some experience of MONDO....??......hmmm...

I realise that I move to quickly......frustration sets in really fast sometimes.

tap,tap, tap.....

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

I realize this is a thread regarding Mondo but I never had an issue with cloning or backing up images to an external drive using Clonezilla. It's not pretty but it does the job. 

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

lol....its not pretty !!......

Thanks for that John, I have a thumb drive loaded with clonezilla. My son set it up so that when the thumb drive was inserted and then used to boot from.....a screen would appear which would automatically select the source drive and then auto select the destination drive.....one click to confirm and proceed....and it would backup the entire drive (excluding movies) in approx 16 minutes.

My son and I have fallen foul of each other and the clonezilla thingie has "gone out" in sympathy !...it boots, reaches the screen...selects the source...but doesnt select the destination. It then backups to the source drive which is not the idea behind doing a backup !

I seem to remember words my son used like 'cron job'..???....I am not sure of that...at all....and am seriously hesitant to fiddle what i know stuff all about.   (as much as I would LOVE to have it set up again

(when it boots to the thumb drive....there are two options when selecting the thumb drive....the first selects the screen I have just described....the second brings up a yellowish screen((clonezillas)....which almost immediately tells me it has failed....or words to that effect....and then takes me back to the screen where i select again.)

Upward....and hopefully onward ....

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

OK I am back (waits for applause to die down ... no applause ... rats)

@JohnC_21:

...but I never had an issue with cloning or backing up images to an external drive using Clonezilla. It's not pretty but it does the job.

Quite so, and likewise. It is an ugly bugger but gee it has worked for me, both with Windows 7 prior to my Linux epithany, and with Linux.

@Condobloke:

If you have the patience, friend Brian ( :hysterical: :hysterical: ) and wish to start a new Topic, whilst you/we are waiting on an answer back from the Mondo people, I would suggest something like eg "Having Difficulty Using a Pre-Configured Clonezilla Thumb Drive" or similar.

Seems to me that we could be reinventing the wheel a little, when your son put together what sounds like a viable solution using the big CZ, and all we need to do is to get it working again?

But it is your show, your PC, your data ... so your call.

If you concur, then at the new Topic, I will explain a little about "cron" &c and make a guess as to how your son was using it.

In the meantime, I have downloaded and put to USB stick the latest Clonezilla (but that might not be what we need), and in my travels seen references to cron being used to call Mondo under certain setups, so Mondo need not be ruled out yet as a plausible solution.

Let us know your thoughts, take your time.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

Done.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/635039/having-difficulty-using-a-pre-configured-clonezilla-thumb-drive/

Edit :...I will be off the air for a few minutes while I take pics, reboot etc etc

Edited by Condobloke, 17 December 2016 - 02:22 AM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

The last couple of days have been eventfull.......especially HERE     ....this is a topic concerning Clonezilla which I started while waiting for a reply on the Mondo site.

AS a result of the success achieved in using Clonezilla....I will not pursue this topic any further.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for letting us know Condo.

No further replies by members are needed, This topic is finished, If members need further help please start a new post.

Please note any replies after this may be deleted without notice.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users