Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista "disc read error occurred" need help with boot disc please?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 more_asbestos

more_asbestos

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

specs

cbkMjaO.png

hi there, i recently had trouble with vista as described in this thread.

i semi solved the issue, and carried on using the laptop for a few more days (trying to back everything up bit by bit, I'm glad to say I had enough sense to do that at least)

I also realised a defrag was long overdue and set about doing that! seemed to cause no issues and I carried on for another hour after it was done. Then shut my laptop down and went out for the evening.

the current problem

I came back and turned it but now, after the acer logo screen, instead of loading windows I'm greeted with "disc read error occurred, press ctrl alt del to restart"

I have had this laptop for a long time, have looked after it well, but realise it may just be an age thing. but I hadn't finished saving everything.

I've read all may NOT be lost? I need to know how to go about making a Vista recovery USB stick to see if I can attempt to recover the last of the stuff I was backing up before finally putting the hard drive out of its misery? The only other laptop I have access to is my girlfriends, which is running on windows 10, so creating a recovery usb stick on there will only give me a Windows 10 Recovery thing.  Is there anywhere I can download one for Vista that can be put on a usb stick (this 10 laptop doesn't have a CD drive)

thanks in advance for any advice

Edited by more_asbestos, 15 December 2016 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

I don't know about the availability of a Vista recovery ISO but i can thoroughly recommend any self-booting version of Linux for the purpose of recovering your data. I suggest Puppy because it is the one I keep on my desk for this purpose, it's very small, will boot off a USB and runs entirely in RAM. You can get it and instructions on how to install and use it here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

You may also need to download an application called Rufus to create the USB files -

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If the only problem you have on your Vista computer is a damaged OS you should be able to use Pupppy to recover your data without any problems and you will be able to create Puppy on your girlfriend's laptop, again without any problems.

Do not be afraid !  We are not trying to turn the world into Linux users, it is just that Puppy - or any self-booting Linux distro - makes an incredibly useful tool for recovering data from otherwise non-operative computers. Honestly !  Now for the propoganda - if you can't repair your copy of Vista you woud probably find that your computer would run Linux Mint XFCE quite nicely.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 more_asbestos

more_asbestos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

Thank you very much, Chris!

Ran puppy on a flash drive, C drive wouldn't open, didn't mind too much I already backed up the most important stuff, but D drive opens fine and I was able to rescue all my work on there in a matter of minutes! currently recording a lot of music for somebody that I was really worried about having to start again from scratch. you've really saved my bacon here, thanks again, will definitely make a donation to the site. :)

Edited by more_asbestos, 18 December 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Glad you managed to recover most of your data and it's always nice to have a solution that saves work !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users